New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question about hunting the county parks. In order to get the permit to hunt county land, bow hunters get their permits in september and firearms get them in october. The land that i am hunting allows a max of 8 hunters (per the regulation set). How is this number tabulated. if 8 bow hunters sign up in sept, does that leave zero shotgun permits? or is it 8 bow hunters and another 8 firearm for a total of 16 possible hunters at any one time. from what I can tell on the regulation sets, permit bow and permit shotgun tend to run concurrently.

when we signed up for the shotgun permits, all 8 spots were available, but i know there are bow hunters currently hunting. does this just mean that the current bowhunters no longer hunt once 6-day firearm starts and continues to run into the permit season to feb?
thanks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
a lot of county parks allow 1 hunter per every 10-20 acres. way to many hunters in my opinion but the state usually accounts for not every person hunting at the same time and always state that its a management hunt (not a trophy hunt). they are basically designed to bring deer down to 10-15 deer/ square mile. thier "management" is poor at best (morris county parks anyway!)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we're hunting the drag strip property in hunterdon. according to the park rules, a max of 8 hunters can get permits.

i guess its possible bow hunters have to stop hunting the property for winter bow.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have never hunted the hunterdon parks myself but a friend does and he was trying to get me to go in with him.

His lot had 4 hunting slots. Fall bow, permit bow, fire arm, permit gun, winter bow. It only allowed a max of 4 hunters for any overlapping seasons. So fall bow and firearm could have 4 guys, than fall bow, permit bow, and permit gun, had 4 slots total. If someone bought the rights for permit gun then no one else could hunt bow during this time. Meaning only 4 guys could be on the property at any one time.

I think I got this right but could be wrong it was a couple years ago and I never went in with him. He has a group of guys and they buy all the slots for everything.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Atlantic county parks is a lottery with limited number per hunting style. You can hunt bow rifle and shotgun i you wanna buy into the lottery when available. But they make you pay an additional 5 bucks per permit for a county permit also.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
That is one of the properties managed by the Hunterdon County Park System. They do NOT issue Winter Bow Permits for the "Dragstrip Strip Property" . Winter Bow Permits are only issued for twelve relatively small parcels that are bowhunting only. The very top of the Parks hunting Program Regulations sheet tells you what dates you may use what weapons. These dates are not exactly the same as the DF&W dates. Such as Permit Bow only runs from Nov. 1 - Nov.29 and Dec. 6 . The DF&W Permit Bow season for regulation set 8 runs all the way to Dec.31. You have to check the Regulations for both the parks and the DF&W.

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
I have never hunted the hunterdon parks myself but a friend does and he was trying to get me to go in with him.His lot had 4 hunting slots. Fall bow, permit bow, fire arm, permit gun, winter bow. It only allowed a max of 4 hunters for any overlapping seasons. So fall bow and firearm could have 4 guys, than fall bow, permit bow, and permit gun, had 4 slots total. If someone bought the rights for permit gun then no one else could hunt bow during this time. Meaning only 4 guys could be on the property at any one time. I think I got this right but could be wrong it was a couple years ago and I never went in with him. He has a group of guys and they buy all the slots for everything.
I've heard this sort of thing before on this site, that guys will sometimes bring folks with them, some maybe not even hunters, and essentially "corner the market" on a Hunterdon County park. And they repeatedly do this year-after-year?

Now, I dont know if this is urban legend (or "rural legend" in this case) and total myth, but if it's true it seems a totally bass ackwards way for Hunterdon County to run things from a deer management standpoint. Because if it's true it totally implodes their calculus for managing the deer herd per park/area by allocating X number of hunter permits. In other words, they may THINK they're allocating 7 slots to an area to cull some deer, when in reality they're only giving out 4 slots, or perhaps 3 slots plus 2 guys who are buddies that will hunt 1 Saturday etc.....

So, if the above is true, a far more intelligent way for Hunterdon County to run this thing from a deer management standpoint would be to hold a random "lottery" by mail with all the resident applications it receives. Then after those are filled do the same with all the non-resident applications it receives. ONLY by going that route can the Hunterdon County Parks staff really know how many hunters they're actually filling, because at the moment, it's clearly way fewer than they currently think.

Atlantic county parks is a lottery with limited number per hunting style. You can hunt bow rifle and shotgun i you wanna buy into the lottery when available.
This is just a way more efficient and intelligent way to run things. Done & done, with no fuss and uncertainty.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Benedict Gomez, what you have stated is totally untrue. First of all you need a hunting license to purchase a permit. They can not control how often anyone hunts with their permit not even if it is a mail-in lottery. They do allow "alternates on a permit. The alternate can hunt on his buddies permit only when the buddy is not hunting, that way only one person is hunting with that permit at a given time. You may of heard about non-hunters taking a place in line for a hunter as this is allowed and does occur. What DDS stated is also partially untrue as there are no Winter Bow Permits issued on any park that allows gun hunting.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I never said he brings non hunters with him. In order to get a hunterdon county permit you have to wait in line. Many guys camp over night so they are first. My friend and other hunting friends camp out. They all hunt the property, they only do this because they want to be the only ones on it, this way they know where each other are and when they are there. Makes for a safe hunt. No idiot that puts everyone else in danger if you fill all the spots up.

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
Benedict Gomez, what you have stated is totally untrue. First of all you need a hunting license to purchase a permit. They can not control how often anyone hunts with their permit not even if it is a mail-in lottery. They do allow "alternates on a permit. The alternate can hunt on his buddies permit only when the buddy is not hunting, that way only one person is hunting with that permit at a given time. You may of heard about non-hunters taking a place in line for a hunter as this is allowed and does occur. What DDS stated is also partially untrue as there are no Winter Bow Permits issued on any park that allows gun hunting.
I'm aware of all of that so I think you might have misread/misunderstood what I'm saying (as well as what DDS was saying too I think).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts