New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last spring I was enjoying the company of Leonard Lee Rue as we sat in his living room and watched the wood ducks on his pond. And as always the conversation turned to my Father, Grand Father and Joe Taylor. All of whom were fur trappers.
And Lenny said to me."Ya know Mike", "A deer hunter sits in his stand and sees a RedFox trot down the edge of a stonerow, stops to sniff the air and continues on , finally crossing the stonerow and disappears in the tall grass, and he feels blessed to have witnessed nature and enjoyed watching the Fox.
"A woodsman sees the same Fox and feels blessed to have witnessd nature and enjoyed watching the fox, but he also paid attention to the wind direction and realized that the fox was hunting the stonerow on the downwind side. He noticed that the fox crossed the stonerow at the first break that afforded him easy passage into the wind. The woodsman also realizes the fox is probably going to hunt for mice in the tall grass field."
Then Len continued on.
"A Trapper sees the same Fox and feels blessed to have withessed nature, and enjoyed watching the Fox, Except. The trapper KNEW the fox was going to be hunting the downwind side of the stonerow. The trapper KNOWS the fox will cross in that spot and he can tell you where the fox will place his feet as he does. The Trapper KNOWS the fox was going to be hunting for mice in the high grass field and just how high off the ground he will be holding his head, and where he will place his feet as he heads down the trail through the tall grass."
He then said,"Some guys are good outdoorsman, Some are just plain Lucky, And some are Trappers. I'm glad I was a trapper, It makes my job much easier."

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
L.L. Rue is one of my favorite outdoor photographers. I read a couple of his books when I was younger too. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Thanks for the post Mike. He's a great guy as well as an amazing photographer. He hit that point right on the head[up]

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
[up][up][up]

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
[up][up]

·
Registered
907 Posts
One of my favorite authors and photagophers. I'm pretty sure I met him while I was at boy scout camp at the gap.

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
Cool Beans, good story [up]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
My father met him about ten years ago got a book signed and chatted for awhile.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
[up] Was it L L Rue III? If so I have a Deer butchering book by him and Josef Fischel entitled "After your deer is down" Step by step on butchering, amongst other tidbits. And that's how I learned.[up]

·
Registered
362 Posts
I don't get trapping, just never was my thing ever since as a kid in the 70's on a camping trip I saw a raccoon foot in a trap - the raccoon had chewed his foot off to get away. Trapping used to be a cruel, cruel sport, until anti-hunters raised a fuss about it. Now I've killed my share of deer/elk/turkey, but I go to extraordinary means to ensure a quick, humane kill. I never could understand how someone could look at that - a raccoon foot - and just keep on trapping and seeing it again. I don't think it's cruel today, but GOD it used to be.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts