New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I signed up for Hunters Ed that occurs tomorrow at Cherry Ridge.

I've only ever hunted in Ohio where I have family so I figured what the heck. I've filled out the workbook, did all the movies and did the sample tests.

Anything else I should be aware of?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Be super-safe when handling your weapon, or fake weapon, tomorrow. The instructors will be watching for unsafe handling.

But, they are not looking to fail you. Don't be worried.

Congrats on getting your NJ license.

I'm taking my nephew to the little rimfire silhoutte range tomorrow ... stop and say hi if you see us. Green, crew cab Ford Pickup.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I signed up for both the Shotgun and Rifle ones. I read you could do both so I did.

I'll bring my 22 and my Shotgun or should I not bother?

When you say super safe...other than keeping it pointed down range and keeping the bolt/breech open, safety on and finger off the trigger , what else is there?

Tomorrow there's a match at 200/300 and the hunters ed...it's going to be busy.

I may shoot my Remmy Model 5 a bit more when I'm done and it's not raining or something. I've only put about 25 rounds though it and I want to get it loosened up a bit.

My vehicle is fairly unique...so it should be easy to spot too :)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
the written test is all common sense and is really easy, and yes be very safe with the fake gun and stuff when doing the field test

·
Registered
377 Posts
the test asks you whether you should have a beer, or a cell phone in your survival kit[sleep] peice of cake

·
Registered
747 Posts
When you say super safe...other than keeping it pointed down range and keeping the bolt/breech open, safety on and finger off the trigger , what else is there?
crossing a fence with a weapon ...

·
Registered
182 Posts
The rifle test refers to muzzle loaders I believe... once the gun is loaded, the 'safe' position is at half cock. Which I did not realize when I took the test (about 4 years ago). The instructor did not bust my balls, just informed me. Good luck, they are on your (our) side.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welp I passed. 100% on the written. I missed the clay with my own shotgun! When I trap shoot, I usually get 90% or so. Going to blame it on my fingers being cold[hihi]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts