New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this as a response to another post but I thought it had merit for a thread of its own.

Just a reminder to us hunters as to why we are ALLOWED TO HUNT. Hunting is a privilidge, not a "right." We are allowed this privilidge for a number of reasons; tradition and political ambivalence being among them. I would say that the number one reason we are given the privilidge to hunt is that hunters fulfill a purpose to our society and government - game management.

We are a means to keep game populations in balance. We are ALLOWED to cull SURPLUS game as determined by wildlife biologists. As such we also help keep eco-systems in balance and play a role in our country's conservation efforts.

All told we contribute 75% of the funds that the government agencies that manage America's natural resources (license fees, permits, PR tax collections). These monies are the source to employ thousands of people in these agencies.

In short, we are ALLOWED to hunt because hunting serves a PURPOSE to our country. We have considerable forces working to undermine the legitamcy and minimize the need of our PURPOSE. I know I continue to beat the drum that we hunters need to EDUCATE ourselves of all the good hunting does, and this post is no different.

Hunting is a good thing but is easily manipulated to appear as a bad thing. Our enemies call hunters "killers" and say hunting is "bloodlust." It's compelling for non-hunters to believe these descriptions when they see us dra a dead deer from the woods. It takes a lot of education to put this scenario in its proper perspective. The education of non-hunters begins with us hunters. We have to undertand the "big picture" of hunting and be able to ARTICULATE it to others to reverse hunting's negative images.

There are 2 books that I know of that attempt to do this (I'm sure there are more but I know of 2).

In Defense of hunting by James Swan
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062512374/1 ...

The New Age Hunter, by Anthony P. Mauro, Sr (me)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595323162/1 ...

Before anyone begins flaming me for hawking my book - please don't bother it only detracts from the purpose of this post - EDUCATE YOURSELF. Drag or a moderator will delete the post if they are unhappy with it. I've mentioned a book other than my own so I've provided an option too. There may also be other books out there so if you're interested in educating yourselves but don't like the choices here then find another.

The point is educate yourselves (and I'm not assuming that we hunters don't already know things but we can all further our education.)

I know the antis are educating themselves - and others. They have persuaded many politicians that hunting is "bad," they have infiltrated the board rooms of companies to change company menus, they are depleting the funds of wildlife agencies through litigation, they have united with terorist organizations to put companies out of business, they have "bought" the politicians that legislate hunting privilidges, they have access to a sympathetic media that trumpets anti hunting messages, they will don bear outfits and take to the woods to interrupt hunting, they will assault people wearing fur, etc...

I think it's a small price for hunters to take the time to read, educate ourselves, and begin to educate the non-hunters. When the masses understand the concept of game management and the service it provides we will begin to have the population on OUR side. The greater the number of people that support hunting, the larger our political strength, the better we secure hunting's future.

That's just the beginning.

Ant

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Hunting is my GOD Given right, It's just the US Goverment that makes me pay for it.."

... and ALLOWS YOU TO DO IT.

Disagree? Just look at the results of last years bear hunt - oh, that's right the gov't took that away.

Disagree? If you hunt a non-game species or go over
the bag limit and Uncle Sam sees you the oversight of the US goverment will be vividly apparent.

Hunting may be God given but not according to our government. That's our reality.

It can be changed to become a "right" by means of a constitutional amendment.

But to do that we'd have to EDUCATE OURSELVES.

Ant[up]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I know the antis are educating themselves - and others. They have persuaded many politicians that hunting is "bad," they have infiltrated the board rooms of companies to change company menus, they are depleting the funds of wildlife agencies through litigation, they have united with terorist organizations to put companies out of business, they have "bought" the politicians that legislate hunting privilidges, they have access to a sympathetic media that trumpets anti hunting messages, they will don bear outfits and take to the woods to interrupt hunting, they will assault people wearing fur, etc...
They aren't educating anyone, they are brainwashing everyone that will hear them speak.

My Heart Doctore told me
If you like venison, eat as much as you can, it is heathyer then anything you get in the stores.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
It really is to bad that so many people in our area have become blind to the facts of life. My wife's uncle still talks about when they had a chicken coop in the back yard and it was his job to go out and kill one for dinner. Or how they used to raise pigs and turkeys all summer and then butcher them in the fall. When things become so convient and people can just buy dinner in the store they start to forget the real deal......I had an EX girlfriend who used to give me a hard time for hunting untill she hit one with her car. Then it was why dont they do something about these deer..LOL.. Educating ourselves will never hurt when there is narrow minded people around to talk to...[up]

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They aren't educating anyone, they are brainwashing everyone that will hear them speak.
Mysticguido -

Great point. The reason they are able to brainwash others is because the "non-hunters" don't understand the science behind hunting, nor do they understand the cruel methods that mother nature uses to control wildlife populations.

That's why I'm screamin EDUCATE. Once we educate the non-hunters then we've neutralized the antis and exposed their rhetoric.

Ant

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim

Thank you. It is the biggest compliment I know when I hear someone enjoys something I've written - whether it's a post, article, or book. I hope you're feeling better soon and that the family is doing well.

Bowhuntnj -

You make some excellent points. Our urban centers keep reaching out further and further, sucking in more people and alienating them from our hunting culture. So many people are blind to the fact that they participate in the slaughter of animals because they get their food from the market. For some reason they don't equate eating a hamburger with the killing of a steer - but they very easily see that a dead deer on the back of a pick-up is killing.

It's a strange phenomenon - but it's a real one. By educating ourselves and educating others they'll slowly begin to see that eating that hamburger is no different then eating a deer.

Once they understand that concept then we can teach them that mother nature has made it so that every living thing on our planet eats another living thing for its sustenance - be it plant (gets nutrients in the soil from the dead animals) or animals (the lion eats the wildebeest).

Thanks for your post.

Ant

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Hey apmaurosr the web pages you posted are not working. I clicked on them and it says they are not available. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks bowhuntnj

you can go to my website for info and links:

http://www.anthonypmaurosr.com

or go to amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com, etc... and put in the titles:

In Defense of Hunting by James Swan

The New Age Hunter by Anthony P. Mauro, Sr

Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Ant

1 - 10 of 10 Posts