New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this computerized registration for hunters ed. For firearms and bow I mailed in the form and received a notice in the mail of the date and time. I have registered for my muzzy test for this Tuesday via the F&G website about a month ago. Do they still send a confirmation notice via mail? Or since they date, place, and time are on the registration there is no confirmation. I afraid they won't know I am coming when I show up and they will turn me away.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clinton. The northern office at 530

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5:30 pm or 1730 hrs

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
WOW !!! how times have changed. I remember when I was 10 yrs old, and had to take 3 classes, over 3 weeks for archery, firearm and muzzleloader.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what it was for my firearm and archery. I should have taken muzzleloader years ago, but I didn't trust them until I shot one last year. Then I had to go buy one.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
With the new training classes you have a workbook and video to complete before the class. On the day of you test there is a field walk and then you go to either the bow, shotgun or muzzleloader range (or even all three) After that you take a test and you are normally on your way home before 1:00pm.

NJ has won many awards for this "new" method of training.

The cl [no swearing please] that mpemt24 is going to is only a single range and field walk.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blood, are you an instructor?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Yes, but I won't be doing your class. I normally teach archery at Black River or Whittingham although I have done them at other locations.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I was wondering if I would meet anyone from the board there. I like this at home course a little better. My guess is because there are not enough instructors. For my firearm course is 1994 I had 3 and archery course in 1999 I had 1.
By the way, I will be handing out cards. Hopefully we'll get a few more members.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
The amount of instructors isn't as much a problem as the free time of new hunters. It's difficult for most people to get 2 or 3 free days to take the old cl [no swearing please] and test. This way you can do most of the work on your own time at your leisure.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
How about this for us old timers, I went to get a park permit to hunt some of the parks in Monmouth couty, and they told me I needed a hunters ed. certificate. I told her I been hunting since 1967, she told me to go back to school and get one.[mad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I been hunting since 1967, she told me to go back to school and get one
That sucks.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well guys I passed. However, I do want to vent. I think the field walk through was a little much for hunters who have hunted for a while. Don't get me wrong, it is great for beginers. It was just too long. As far as range time, it was great. The instructor, Arnie, was very knowledgable. I learn a great deal. I think a system should be developed so people that already hunt can be waived from the walk through. For beginers it should be mandatory. I was there from 5:30 pm until almost 9:30 pm. I hope everyone got a chance to shoot. We didn't begin shooting until close to 8:00.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
It's hard for an instructor to judge the exact experience level of the students so we must try to cover all the bases. Some instructors are more "winded" than others.

Technically, we can't wave anyone from the field walk. PR funding, which helps pay for hunter education, states we must cover certain topics.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like I said the field walk is a great idea. I thought the classes were 2 hours long, but I guess they can go longer based on the amount of people. I guess the redundant review is worth it for the funding. With out the funding for the course 2 things could happen. No more hunting or irresponsible hunter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts