New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hunting the Hunterdon County section of zone 8 for the past 7 years. I've seen some great bucks and taken a couple of decent ones as well. I was hunting the Glen Gardner area near the Charelstown Reserve but I lost that piece. I now hunt in Lebenon township near the Morris County Border. When I have enough money to buy a piece of hunting land it will be somewhere in this area. There are still a lot of working farms in the area and the deer eat real well! I love this area!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
hunterdon has some of the best spots in the central area but hard to got permision to hunt some of those farms

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i agree i live in Glen Gardner. I want to hunt Hagedorn. it's my backyard. For you guys who know what it is will agree. I've asked the cops who patrol it but they will and cannotr give me or anyone access. They don't mind me walking back there but no hunting. this place is amazing to say the least. turkeys, deer and bears all over the place.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Jersey Jim, I am from Long Valley and practically live on the Lebanon border. Do you happen to hunt one of the farms on Mt. Lebanon rd? I know there are a few groups of guys that hunt back there such as the Mt. Lebanon gun club. Yes there are a lot of deer and some nice bucks running around and they have plenty of food with the farms and the LANDSCAPING in my neihborhood!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm not sure where Hagedorn is but I agree with you guys about the bucks in hunterdon county. I have had a decent amount of success hunting public land in the area but have yet to find private property to hunt. I would love to get onto the exxon property between 31 and 22... there are always deer in those fields out there.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I want to hunt Hagedorn. it's my backyard. For you guys who know what it is will agree. I've asked the cops who patrol it but they will and cannotr give me or anyone access. They don't mind me walking back there but no hunting. this place is amazing to say the least. turkeys, deer and bears all over the place.
The officers there feed the deer, and other wildlife right out of the police station. Those animals are pretty tame, like their pets. I've seen groundhogs on the property that look like bear cubs, just huge. I don't know who gave you permission to walk the grounds, but they really aren't even supposed to allow that. Just being good guys I guess. It sure is scenic up there, looks right down on the lake, beautiful. I go up for some photo shoots once in a while, there is a ton of wildlife on those grounds.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i grew up hunting a farm on cokesbury road. MOst farms in that sector have turned to big houses. It has made for nicer bucks actually, as there are not as many gun clubs around the farm. my family had 200 acres there (uncle still does). We were only allowed to shoot does with a bow since i was a kid - but still, the farm did not have the bucks they have today - more get through so, more 2 1/2 year old deer are shot. They go nocturnal though, so it becomes hard to even kill does once the shooting start. But a real beautiful area to hunt.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Kah1993,

i used to belong to a club that hunted cokesbury rd. it's all cows. it was from the corner of david post road and then headded down towards the south branch. they built some new houses next to it. it had some great deer hunting there.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
NJ_Bowhuntr,

they never gave me a problem by walking around there. they even told me to use it to work out my dog. behind my house is a water tower. there are 2 guys that hunt up there. they park behind my house and hunt the property that Lebanon twp owns that borders Hagedorn. i can look out my office window and watch them hunt. one day i saw the guy take a doe. hell, one guy setup so close to my neighbors house they were eatting dinner and the guy was right out his window. the guy wouldn't get down so my neighbor called the state police and he had to move.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
i can look out my office window and watch them hunt. one day i saw the guy take a doe. hell, one guy setup so close to my neighbors house they were eatting dinner and the guy was right out his window. the guy wouldn't get down so my neighbor called the state police and he had to move.
Sounds like a safety zone violation.

NJ_Bowhuntr,

they never gave me a problem by walking around there. they even told me to use it to work out my dog.
I'm not trying to break your stones, just letting you know they are being nice guys about it. I'm glad for you that they let you use the property, just be thankful. Part of their job is too keep people off that property for liability reasons, and many of the State facilities, and those who are responsible for them, are really getting serious about that, especially with all the law suits (not to mention terrorism alerts) now-a-days.

Do you personally know any of them by name?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
I know one of them by name but i heard he got a promotion and he moved down to Marlboro hospital. I think he lived in that area so i wanted to be closer to home.

Yeah i walk up there all the time. I need to take some pictures from that metal plate they have on top of the quarry. people wouldn't believe it up there.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
wojtowicza
Our farm was between cokesbury road and Long view road - above the high tension wires. As you got the crest of the hill on cokesbury road, on the right was part of the farm - HIdden Acre Farm was the name - still is - there use to be c ouple of guys that hunted the farm across the street - parked on the road - may have been your group. And yes - lots and lots of deer

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
we used to park in the driveway. the guy who lived there was REAL strange. i would never trust him. he also had a field across the street. i used to setup right in the corner of cokesbury and david post road. i took alot of deer out of there.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I live in the Marlboro Hospital - the bucks stack up in there once the rut is over - have seen a couple of 150 Plus in there from the road -

Now the chief of police hunts in there - and the real big boys disapear. Still can see 2-3 P&Y together in the fields - Ihunt about a mile from there, and let many bucks p [no swearing please] during the rut hoping on of them comes out of the hospital- nice 10 point gene pool in the area also

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
ok - I know where you were - our farm was at the top of the hill - you were down below the glennen farm down towards the bottom - right. if you were coming from water street to cokesbury going up the hill - as you reached the crest of the hill - the field on the right - before you get to woods and start to drop down

how long ago were you hunting there

1 - 20 of 41 Posts