New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anybody that purchased permits for the Hunterdon County Park properties had any success? Post any success stories and/or pictures here. I pulled a permit for all seasons on one park but have not hunted the property very much so far. Saw a lot of great sign and had some great bucks on trail cams....no reason other than just had other bucks on the radar on private pieces I was chasing after.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
No one is going to say what parks they hunt for fear of 100 hundred internet scoutera from this site trying to apply for that park next August. Let alone post pics. They are all great places to hunt.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
No one is going to say what parks they hunt for fear of 100 hundred internet scoutera from this site trying to apply for that park next August. Let alone post pics. They are all great places to hunt.
4 sure

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
some places must be good
guys wait in line many hours before they start selling the permits
They have no choice but to be in line to assure those spots. The system in place requires that. I'd much rather see a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice lottery to break up the park "clubs" and give everyone a fair shot to all of it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
With demand so great for spots on the Hunterdon County Parks, its a real shame that someone would buy the permits and sit on them b/c they have private pieces to hunt. I wonder how many guys do this.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah its a bunch of bull. I work for county but live out of state.all the bow permits are usually bought out first day.most of parks guys who hunt get together and buy all the permits for one spot.they should charge more so the guys who buy permits are more likely to hunt. Ps get permit for case farm lol.cats out the bag BIG BUCKS LITTLE PRESSURE.ONLY TWO PERMITS.bow only.don't Belive me take a ride around complex.look at trees that are rubbed.one is an 11 point.
[rofl][rofl][rofl]

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My post was not to start a debate. It's amazing how so many people on this site are so thick-headed. Why have a forum for sportsmen to share stories and successes if nobody is willing to share and even better yet...type a response to my post telling me I'm ridiculuous for writing it. I typed to post to find out if any of the other guys I've waited in line with had any success. You'll also notice I did not divulge which property I hunt or where. I would expect the same of any responses. If you don't get the permits...read on! Jealous?! It's important to have a few properties to hunt and yes, I consider myself very lucky to have this in NJ especially, however, if you're passionate about this sport, you'll do all you can to acquire as much land as possible to hunt to assure you're not over-pressuring your quarry. Sorry for the rant...I guess I did not see this post going in this direction. I'll clarify...any success stories or pictures anybody wants to share, feel free...if not...I understand...just move on and no need for a smartie-pants comment!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do agree, however, that it is a bit of a 'monarchy' when getting the permits. Some guys wait in line for days...the parks dept. sees this as the 'fairest' way to get the permits. Simply put, however, many of us cannot go camp-out at the office 24-36 hours before the permits go on sale due to work obligations. Now with the 'buddy hunter' option, somebody can wait in line and put their buddy's name on there and basically create their own private hunting club. A lottery would be more fair...but it means more legwork for the parks dept. office and we all know they are not willing to work any more than they have to!

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
and we all know they are not willing to work any more than they have to
That seems to be a condition everywhere these days. [smoke]

I don't see it as any more complicated. The parks mail you notification and announces the dates. You mail it back with your requests and they go in the hat. Just like the state, notify the winners and set a date to reply. What don't go answered becomes OTC on a specific date.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Im hunting a public property that was by draw and pressure is very light so I don't think a lottery makes that big a difference and just because you don't see folks hunting does not mean a place is not getting hunted.

The walk up method is fair enough and IMO it helps in several ways, those dedicated enough to stand in line for a permit most often have done their winter or year round scouting live nearby or have that park in the regular travel pattern so they will hunt it more and kill deer regularly there.
I have hunted Hunterdon parkland off and on since about 1976 (Some of you here may have to ask your parents about that year) I believe @ one time there was lottery w/ 1st 2nd 3rd choice and they dumped it for some reason.

To the guy who made the comment about Parks employees not doing any more work than they have to let me ask DO YOU?
I am SURE parks have volunteer opportunities for you if only you would ask. Let us know how you do.

A little known point of info most twp. or county land that is hunted is hunted by someone from that area.
By law if state green acres money was used in the purchase of land in that system no more than a 1 day advantage can be given to local residence during an application period.
Let’s not forget the real reason there is any hunting on parks property is deer population control NOT to make nonresident hunters happy or any hunters happy for that matter.
On a personal note 1 year myself and another fellow did ok on a particular park filling both our bow tags with nice bucks and coming very close to killing a buck that as a local legend in that area and we made the mistake of talking about our season in the parking lot one time with others there.
For the rest of the season and during ML along with all the rest of the following year we found our spots getting shared with others putting their stands 15 yards away from ours and or cutting us off followed around during scouting days (Hey that’s so n so’s truck let’s see what he’s up to) after that I only talk about the weather if others are around that I don’t know and know to trust.
Loose lips sink more than ships.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
devalhunter so your asking other hunters to post pics. How about posting yours from your trail cams and why draw a permit or permits if your not going to use them. That to me is a total waste they could have been used by someone who wanted to hunt their park system that doesn't have private land to hunt on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.