New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to the landowner of my favorite hunting spot the other day. I was at his home fixing his chainsaw and shooting the shit with him. Even though he's 73 and I'm 34, we always find common ground to laugh and joke around. I'm even inviting him to my wedding. I've baked his wife a pie, cut down trees, stacked wood, and helped look for a goat after his pet goat died. I have a ton of respect for this man, and I'm very grateful to hunt his land.
I've been sharing this piece with another guy who only comes around during hunting season. He never calls or offers to help with anything. He even took down my stand to make room for his in one spot. We hunt opposite ends of the farm due to "bad blood". It's a small piece, so if I pull in and see his truck there, I leave. If I'm there first he hunts anyway, cutting right through to one of his stands. He's even been bold enough to have his mistress meet him there for some mid-day romping. Apparently the landowners wife doesn't care much for this man, and asked him not to return. Although I love the fact that I have this spot to myself now, I know how easily this could have been avoided. I know how difficult it is to find a honey hole like this. Just goes to show, how a few kind gestures and gratitude can make the difference between having a spot, and NOT!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Seems that the guy took advantage and deserves to be thrown off the land. Be careful this Fall though.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The good thing is, I can now feel comfortable while hunting this piece. I've always been allowed to bring a respectful guest, but only did on one occasion in 3 years to minimize the chances of an ugly encounter with this guy (He's a big baby who acted like he owned the land).

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Jerks come and go....and it is always good when they go. Good for you D....[up]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
[up][up][up]Nice guys do finish first:D:D:D

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Seems that the guy took advantage and deserves to be thrown off the land. Be careful this Fall though.
Ditto on that one. Nice you have it to yourself.[up]

It's nice to talk to the old timers. They made and are a part of history. Their knowledge will die with them unless someone listens to the stories and takes their advice. After all , first hand experience is worth a thousand magazine articles.[patcheye]

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It pays to go the extra.Good for you
I really do enjoy talking to him. He always makes me laugh, and is always happy to see me. My grandfather died about 7 years ago, and this guy treats me like family. Although he doesn't hunt, and hates to see dead deer, he's been on his hands and knees helping me track deer into the late hours. All around good guy!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Good for you!! My BEST friend is 76. Enjoy hunting and enjoy being with him.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Good for you. Keep an eye out for the other Hunter... He may think you had something to do with it. Lock up you stands just to be safe

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Good for you !! but like said before watch your equip. He knows the property as well as u and might not be to happy and can really destroy this years hunting.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Nice to hear it was you that got to keep your spot. Somehow some of these jerks seem to take some kind of ownership of the place when they get permission to hunt. Definately be on the lookout for signs of a-holes around your spot this fall..

·
Registered
747 Posts
You're in such a perfect situation .... being friends with the guy like that, helping him do stuff. The cake for the wife was great!

He will remember these things when somenone, or some small group, offer him some huge amount of money to hunt it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts