New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been baiting a spot since the beginning of the season with corn. I have several pictures of at least 2 nice bucks from my cam in the same spot. I have shot 2 does from this stand so far, and have not hunted out of this stand for over 3 weeks now. I just put out some more bait today (10/12), As I was walking around, I found a scrape line. A big one, including several rubs on trees in excess of 8" in diameter. The problem is that the scrape line and rubs are at least 50 yards from my stand,, and I have no clear shot. Should I continue to hunt over the bait 50 yards away from the scrape line, or should I move my stand to get closer to the scrapes and rubs? P.S, this area has a great gene pool, and there is a slammer in there every season. I took a 120" 8 point out of there last year.

B

·
0 Posts
with the bucks making and checking the scrapes I would hunt them, move your stand closer to them. They will soon limit themeselves from eating, as they are seeking out a girlfriend.....best of luck

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
no comment[cool]

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i would get in and hunt that scrape line as soon as the rain lets up a bit which should be by this weekend. my experience is that bucks like to go freshen up scrapes after a good rain.... i put a stand about 30 yards on the upwind side of those scapes and hunt it... if you dont see anything out of it in a few times out just leave it alone till about the last few days of october when they are all over the scrapes....

just my two cents... hope it helps

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
if you can try and hunt both..... Bait sites hold DOEs, Rubs show where bucks are. I have one bait site that has a rub line going through it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
if the scrape line is 50 yds from your bait pile than why not move yor stand 25 yds closer to the scrape line than all you have is a 25 yd. shot in either direction. just a thought.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
You could do that, but why not just find a trail the meets close the both and set over that? I know...I know " what about the wind" play the wind and move with the wind, maybe set up 2 stands... I have seen people set-up 4 stands within 20yards of rubs/scraps/bait sites & YES each other... Sometimes the weird things works best....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts