New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to MY spot in zone 9 and hung my stand. Deer have been hitting my food very well. After I was done I sat in my stand for 20 min just looking around, Being it's a new spot for me. Man I did'nt want to get out it felt so damn good just sitting there,I was so relaxed. Cannot wait till next sat.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good luck, but I hope it doesn't get stolen.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hung it for me. DW still needs to take a test,And learn all the basic's. She's as green as green can be. She's going in the right direction though. By nexy year she'll be a killer. AS far as it getting stolen I put a 1/2 in thick cable lock around it (Brinks) with a all weather Brinks lock. I also screw out all my pegs, so if someone wants to go through all that trouble for a 99.00 lock on they can have it. But so far I never had a attemt to have one stolen thank god. I'd hate to show up one morning and my tree was gone.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hopefully you get a good buck out of the stand, and not just for the teams sake.;)[up]

So has DSWidow started the home study course? Does she have a bow yet or is she still trying to decide which one? Best of luck to her! I think its great she is taking up hunting!!![up]

If she hasnt picked out a bow yet, I have to suggest the following:

Browning Micro Adrenaline XS (probably the best female/youth bow for the money)

Browning Micro Midas 3 (a little less fancy for less cash)

Hoyt Rintec, and Hoyt Sierratec. I've owned a Sierratec, and its a great bow. But I still think the Browning Micro Adrenaline XS is the best bow for the money.

I also recommend she learns what draw wieght she can pull easily, and then get a bow with that being near the bottom or middle of the draw weight range. This gives her some extra draw weight adjustment as her muscles get used to drawing a bow. Probably the 40-50 pound range but test it out to be sure. Also make sure the draw length fits her perfectly, this is where many archers go wrong. Many often err on the long side. Im guessing she will be about a 26" to 26-1/2" draw (with a release aid).

Dont forget to look at used deals as well, many people get rid of these smaller length/weight bows quite often (and CHEAP) as their kids and wifes/gf's either outgrow them or lose interest!

If you need any help with suggestions, or setting her up, just let me know. Im willing to help anyway I can, I just think its great that she is getting involved in bowhunting![up] Female hunter numbers are growing, but we need to get even more ladies into this great sport!:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks Mat! I got an Apache youth/womans bow off ebay. It came yesterday. Luknikk, now says it was a waste of money sinc he's goning to change just about everything...men and toys. It has a 45-60# pull. Ryan's was at 45 and I handled that fine, so I still have "room to grow"
It's a start. Hopefully by next year I'll be ready to go. I think they still have the self study tape Ryan used last year in the basement. I'll have to look. But isn't there a book that went with that too?? I need to get that, if there is one.

It should all be fun when I'm all set up.

Well time to play zoo keeper again...the animals here are getting wild.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
DSW there is a boklet that has a home study test in it that you must complete. If you have the video just go to any licensing agent and pick up the written material. or just get it all to be on the sav=fe side, You might be able to download the written from the F&G website.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Went to MY spot in zone 9 and hung my stand.
Public or Private Ground?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
DSW, is this your new bow?

Looks like a great bow, and super deal[up][up][up]

I dont know if you guys have a bow-press or not, but if you dont, and you need someone to take it apart and check it over before shooting it....I can try to stop by and do that. Its usually a good idea to go over a used bow before shooting it....just to be safe.

Just think, we could be seeing some pics of you around this time next year with that bow resting atop your first bowkill!!! :)[up] I sure hope so!

Best of luck with it!---Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts