New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forth day of hunting hard was the charm for me. Hunting with my son Hendryhill we passed on a jake double on opening morning. I am glad we did. This morning it was 28 degrees when I left my house at 4:30 a.m.. We were set up at 5:15 but did not hear a peep from the birds I know are in the area. With some soft yelping ever half hour we finally heard a gobble way out in the distance followed by a couple more. Soon they were closing the distance and then after shifting our position to the opposite direction, Chris spotted a long beard in full strut out about 50 yards. To his right were two jakes,(probably the ones we passed opening day) a couple of hens and in back of them another long beard. Because of our position, Chris was not going to be able to get a clear shot, so with him purring, the first long beard cut to the right along a brook we were near. When I finally got a clear shot I let it go! Down he went and started flopping. Just my luck, he flopped into the brook and started floating down stream with me in hot pursuit. I jumped in and pulled my soaking wet gobbler out of the brook! Wow what a morning! I checked the bird in at a state check station and found that he weighed 24.5lbs. & he has a 10" beard and each spur measured 1" On the NWTF turkey calculator he scores 64.5. Hey, sometimes even I get lucky!:D

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
WTG !!!
Sounds like an incredible morning, congratulations [up]

·
Premium Member
12,369 Posts
wow great![up]

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Great Job Greg![up]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.