Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Jersey Journal, Sept 1 2009
http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index.ssf/2009/09/dont_loosen_gun_controls.html

Don't loosen gun controls
by Juan M. Perez Sheriff of Hudson County Jersey City
Tuesday September 01, 2009, 12:01 AM
As your sheriff of Hudson County, and as a law enforcement officer for many years, I must strongly oppose the recent overtures by some federal legislators to permit individuals to carry concealed weapons over state lines and throughout the country.

It is most certain that handguns and other types of weapons only belong in the possession of law enforcement and military personnel. We lost a dedicated, professional and caring Jersey City officer in the person of Detective Marc DiNardo, slain by career criminals in possession of an automatic type of shotgun which was bought to our city from another part of the country. Certainly, these types of weapons should be prohibited from being manufactured, imported, or sold in the United States of America.

Further, we oppose proposed federal bills HR 4900, HR 2296 and S 941, as these laws would certainly undermine federal agents and local law enforcement in their fight against illegal guns. These bills would create an unnecessarily high evidentiary standard in licensing procedures, allowing the gun dealer to use "ignorance of the law" as an excuse in the breaking of the law, allow gun dealers to sell guns 60 days after the ATF revokes a license, block the ATF from updating record keeping, would not require federally licensed gun dealers to report multiple handgun sales to state or local law enforcement, and would slant license revocation procedures in favor of law breaking gun dealers.

We have witnessed, throughout the country and in our own Jersey City, fatal shootings of police officers and civilians utilizing illegal guns and guns that harm humanity. The above bills and the proposal to permit guns to be carried in a concealed manner would only add to the problems of law enforcement and protect dealers who break the law. Our law enforcement officers and the general public deserve protection in every area from gun violence and other crimes.

·
Registered
21,477 Posts
Clueless [wallmad]

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
My best friend often trained with Dt. Dinardo. For this Juan Perez to use this slain officer's name to deny law abiding citizens of their 2A rights and lump us in with cop killing dirtbags is despicable.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
slain by career criminals in possession of an automatic type of shotgun which was bought to our city from another part of the country. Certainly, these types of weapons should be prohibited from being manufactured, imported, or sold in the United States of America.
1) wasn't it an 870? wtf is an 'automatic type"?

2) don't cops carry 870's?

3) he is a douchebag

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
My reply......

for a sheriff you sure aren't very bright.......

what exactly is an "automatic type of shotgun?"

IIRC he used a Remington 870 PUMP shotgun, which is neither AUTOMATIC or as the wonderful Chief said "tactical" or whatever the hell else he called it.

The 870 is one of the most popular shotguns used by hunters and shooters and ::gasp:: LAW ENFORCEMENT.

using the death of a police officer to block CCW is disgusting as it is pathetic and you should be ashamed of yourselves seeing as one has NOTHING to do with the other.

wanna know what else is funny? I worked with a Juan Perez......he was fired due to incompetence, hopefully you are not too far away from the same fate

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
No. It was "street sweeper" (striker 12) that was purchased illegally.
according to the SL it was stolen in SC but nowhere can I find what make it was. I was almost positive it was an 870

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I think if they bulldozed all of Hudson County, planted trees and legaized concealed carry it would do more to reduce gun crime.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Then he should have to lock his service weapon at the station every day when he leaves to go home if he feels that way.Sounds like something Hitler promoted back in the 1930's.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Nothing against LEO's, most are doing a great job keeping the public safe. However, there is an element in law enforcment with the mind set that they are the only ones qualified to have firearms. That is why the FID application process varies from municipality to municipality.

In addition to that this Hudson County sheriff is probably a democrat political hack in the second most corrupt county in the nation (after Cook County Il.)

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
WRONG! The man is a HACK with political aspirations so he is towing the liberal party line.
Don’t forget the Sheriff must run for office and Hudson county is to my knowledge not exactly a bastion for conservative values.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
It is most certain that handguns and other types of weapons only belong in the possession of law enforcement

Hillside cop accused of shooting son in Tom River home
by Erin Eileen O'Neill/For The Star-Ledger
Tuesday September 01, 2009, 6:51 PM
HILLSIDE -- An 18-year veteran of the Hillside Police Department is on administrative leave after allegedly shooting his teenage son in the leg Monday night.

According to Toms River Police Chief Michael Mastronardy, Detective James Holmes returned to his Toms River home Monday around 7 p.m. during a dispute between the 17-year-old victim and the teenager's mother. The detective became involved in the argument, which ended with
Holmes firing a .40-caliber bullet into the victim's leg.

Holmes used his service weapon, which he was authorized to carry off-duty, in the incident, according to Hillside Police Chief Robert Quinlan. The 17-year-old, who was not identified, was Holmes stepson, according to Quinlan.

The details of the dispute are still under investigation, said Mastronardy.

By the time Toms River police arrived on scene, the juvenile had left the home in a friend's car en route to Community Medical Center in Toms River.

"When we got there, the incident was over," said Mastronardy, who would not confirm whether the fight turned physical before the shooting incident.

The victim is now in Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, according to
Mastronardy.

Holmes faces charges of third-degree aggravated assault. He was released on his own recognizance.

"It's regrettable. It's a regrettable off-duty incident," said Quinlan.

Holmes joined the Hillside police department in 1991 as a patrolman. He was assigned as a detective for criminal investigations eight years ago.

"He had an excellent record of service," said Quinlan.

The Ocean County Prosecutor's Office referred questions to the Toms River Police Department.
Quinlan said the Hillside department is conducting an internal investigation, while working in cooperation with Toms River police and the prosecutor's office.

Holmes is on administrative leave, but Quinlan said that could change to suspension as the investigation proceeds.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
i think automatic weapons have been illegal since the thirties, was it automatic or semi-auto or is this another media trick
Media trick. Again, it was just a standard Mossberg pump. Yes, let's ban one of the most popular hunting shotguns as only LEO's should have them....

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Sheriff = POLITICAL APPOINTEE.

That's why all the senior LE officials parrot what the current regime want them to say.

SAD, but true.

I'm glad I've never been in a position where I had to worry more about a paycheck then about the people I'm responsible for.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.