New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sat from dark to dark, and it was a cold day despite being only 32 degrees. No sun whatsoever, so it felt alot colder. I kept looking at the water below my stand saying, "shouldn't that be frozen?!?!"

Anyway, morning was pretty slow, had 2 does and fawn come in around 9AM. The wind blew my hand a quarter of an inch and apparently the old savvy doe picked up on it, turned inside out, ran about 30 yards and snorted at me 10 times. Note, there wasn't much wind, but seriously I hardly even moved my hand. LOL couldn't believe she picked me out.

Then around 11AM I had a fawn come in to the bait, fed for 20 minutes then bedded 50 yards from my stand. I had to p*ss pretty bad before she got there, then she decided to do this bed for an hour with radar ears then get up and feed again for 20 minutes and bed with radar ears for another hour and repeat. After 3 bedding cycles I had enough and coudln't hold it anymore so I moved slow and finally had some relief. Apparently she was asleep, so I decided to finally have some lunch and inhaled some PB&J sandwiches with some hot soup. That warmed me right up.

Then around 2PM a couple more does cam in and the flood gates opened around 3PM. At one point I had 14 does out in front of the stand and was afraid to breathe! :)

Around 4PM a spike came in and started harassing does and feeding. Then he got his fill of corn and started running them all around the woods. Around 4:30PM I had a nice 2.5 yr old droptine 8 pointer come in that I have on the cam, and feel he needs another year. Not like I have management rights over the Mill but I figure another year will do him alot of good. Chances are I won't see him again, but he'll be better next year for me or someone else! [up] I just hate to take out those genetics because he can really tack on some m [no swearing please] and length in another year. Right now he's just an ear's wide thin rack with short tines.

So that was my day, evening was definitely better. I think I'll just sleep in tomorrow with the snow coming and wait until it breaks then hit the woods.

Also noted there was ALOT of shooting today, more than I've heard in probably the last 8 years. Clubs were out driving hard, sounded like they did OK in the morning but midday was slow.

Anyway, hopefully some of you will post your Day 1 experiences.

Good luck in the remainder of the week! [up]

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
sat on stand from 5'30 am till 11'30 am and saw nothing and heard nothing sat 1pm till dark same thing heard shots and saw no drivers or anyone

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
njhunter:

Are you baiting or just hunting the oaks?

I heard alot of driving out on the towerlines by Central Jersey's club all day long, surprised you didn't hear or see it. Also heard a ton of shots at first light up towards 528.

NJ Bowhuntr:

That absolutely sucks. I was like WHOA 265 lber!!! Then I saw 45 years old and knew something wasn't right. Did you call a CO and/or the police? Was he hunting or just walking around or what? No orange on opening day of shotgun...smart man, might make it to 46 if he's lucky.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
no bait don't like too buti may have too and i was on the other side of the power lines kinda by that tree farm j&j i think deep in the woods pine and oak mix over looking some swamps i no of 4 guys that where in the same area and all saw nothing all day

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I saw 6 squirlles, 4 bluejays, and a bunch of tweetys. If anyone has a spare nuclear warhead i'd like to borrow it. I need to get rid of Rockaway. All year the only thing seen on this property was a small spike, a little 4 and a little 5. Not a doe was seen all year.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
njhunter:

Yeah I know the area you mean, never been back there though. As far as baiting, I quickly learned if others are baiting and you aren't, you aren't seeing deer. If you are seeing deer but not baiting, chances are you are cutting someone off.

I hunted for two years without bait after it became legal and it was miserable. I put a ton of winter/spring/summer hours in prepping spots and waiting for ideal winds/times to hunt them only to see nothing. Yet the year before they were torched with sign. Bottom line, bait piles will pull deer a LONG ways.

I wish they'd ban it again, I really hate baiting but its a necessary evil as long as its legal IMO.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
i hear ya but their realy isn;t any bait around me to be honest not many guys hunting back where we go we go their to get away from the guys wo bait but i do agree with what you say but it's not for me lol but who nows how long i can hold out. anyway good luck hope you get a big one this week

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You too man. I know how you feel, I felt the same and held out for 2 years. After that disgust set in and I caved in! :)

Shoot Straight

1 - 9 of 9 Posts