New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have access to this piece of property:

The upper left hand corner is my house. The other houses on the property are not occupied. The pond on the upper left is a beaver pond / marsh. The dark blue line running through the middle is a creek (about 3-4 foot wide, not very deep). The three red dots represent stands that I have alreay positioned. I have seen deer almost everywhere on the property at one time or another. There are pretty heavy bedding areas (cedars) on the Northern edge of the property on the eastern side of the creek. In the Southern part there are a few apple trees not too far from the house. Obviously, the deer are feeding on the corn.

I only have access from my house or from the SW side.

How should I approach getting in and not getting busted. Also, where else should I hang stands?? It is not a very big piece, but it is a honey hole. I have seen up to 20 deer in the corn field after it is cut on almost any given night. There is hunting pressure from the lands to the Northeast.

Thanks,

dan

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dan, I altered it to show you what I would do, but I cant logon to my photobucket for some reason..

I will try back later.

I did want to ask though.

What is the dark line in the cornfield? If thats a hedgerow, with trees, you may want to get in there once in a while.

Also, the dark red and black line going through what looks to be an open field...whats that consist of?

If its a thicket or a line of trees, it may be good during the rut, and in the mornings when they head back from the corn.

Also, what is your predominant wind direction? I will post more ideas, when I can upload the picture.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matty,

There is a row of wind break trees in the corn. Tall single row of trees, not really a hedge row.

The dark red/black line is a row of tall pines. To the south of the pines is an open field, to the north is a low thicket then it opens up more. The deer move along these rows going to and from the corn, but there is not a lot of trees to put a stand in (huge pine trees and small scrub cedars/ underbrush)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Ok, I got ya.

I cant get on photobucket for the life of me, so let me try to explain what Im thinking.

That creek that runs up through would make a GREAT entrance and exit route. Accessing the creek from the SW and walkin IN IT up towards the bedding areas would be a sure fire way to get in close without spooking them. In the mornings you want to get closer to the beds, and in the evenings, stay further away, because they will already be in there when you are entering. Possibly already on their way to the corn.

While the corn is still standing, you may get a lot of deer that just hold up in it. That will make it harder. Then you could try hunting the fringe of the corn, or even stalking through it, but I wouldnt do too much in there, you want to let them feel comfortable.

I think the stand you have on the far west part of the map may be too hard to access without spooking animals, you may want to move that. They will either see you coming through that open field, or hear you through the thicket. Maybe not though, Im just going by the map.

The other stands look to be in good spots, and I would access that inside corner one in the middle via the creek. Infact you may want to prepare a stand on each inside corner in that locale, because that looks to be one of the central hubs for where deer will be traveling.

Your stand by the corn looks good too, and you may want another one where that "T" is to the west. Some deer may veer off and head down that woodline to the side of the corn, never passing the other stand.

If you can walk in the northern side of the creek, and get in there SUPER EARLY..I mean way before light, you may get a chance at a nice buck going back to bed. Just dont set the stand up far from the creek. Find trees very close to deer trails and the creek itself and use those...this cuts down on any foot trails for them to smell. That creek is what will help you get in and out of spots all the time. Just go slow and quiet, and they will never see, hear or smell you coming or going.

A lot of good spots there Dan, and you have plenty of edge, and funnels, no wonder its deer heaven!

[up]

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Matty,

I figured the creek was key, and the one stand is actually set up right on it, and also right on a the access to the north field so it is kind of like a 3 way funnel.

The stand on the far EAST (not west) is there because the area east of it is actually the start of what you guys in NJ call a mountain. It is a pretty steep ridge, and the deer run the bottom of it to get to the other areas. It may only be an evening stand however, focusing on the deer that are bedding further to the Northeast of the property.

Oh, and it is really nice to have this in my backyard. Just have to make sure the wife does not let the dog out on the nights I am sitting in the stand along the corn field...lol

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Wow, your house backs up to the property you will be hunting. DAMN, I envy you. I don't know how long you have lived there, but if I were in your shoes, I would have these deer patterned to the T. Where they travel, what time they travel, heck, I'd probably have names for the deer.:D Matty brings up some good ideas on stand placement. One suggestion I might add is to set up another stand on the far South end of the property in the vicinity of the creek. It appears like that area is surrounded primarily by Hardwoods? If this is the case, you will surely have deer funneling out of those hardwoods heading towards the corn. Evening spot;)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, backs up to my property. I have lived here for 3 years, but am just getting back into hunting (living here is what got me back) Got permission from the owner last winter and started scouting it. Know it pretty well, but because it is small, I don't want to spend too much time in their bed room and push them out.

The far South is ok, but it gets really steep as it heads up the hill. I will get back in there and see how it looks as I have not really spent too much time in that section. But yes all hard woods, mostly really tall straight poplar trees.

-dan

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
East, thats what I meant...Im not actually that stupid, I just act that way.:D

Luv2hunt is right, a stand down in the south there would be good too, especially with the apple trees somewhere in that vacinity.

If you need some more help, just let me know when to come over with the video camera and bow, and we can get one each out of there in one evening Im sure!;):D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Dan, it's funny you say it's steep there. That reminds me of a property I had years ago in Bloomsbury. Same situation, fairly steep wooded area bordering a field, then running into corn field.
This was the spot to be in in the evenings. The deer would filter down like a parade. It was great.
Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Corn field is not that big that it attracks many geese compared to the others around, but the fly into the beaver pond every night, nice chorus of honking at dusk.

-dan

Actually just down the road from my is a sand and gravel pit that gets loaded with snow geese, I know others that have gotten permission to hunt in there, you probaby could too if you asked.

-dan

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no I don't think so, the nasty odor is from the land fill, unless I am missing something

d

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mystic,

I am trying to stay in from the edges a little, so as not to have to tressp [no swearing please] to retreive animals. Also the stand you marked to the north is too close to some dwellings.

Wojtowica,

the fertilizer place (natures choice?) is northwest of here by a couple miles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts