New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pistol permit will probably come in in the next decade or so, and I was wondering if there's any way to test pistols. Do manufacturers ever have demos? And if so, where are they and how do I find out about them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Where you located? The indoor range I belong to (Shore Shot Pistol) In lakewood has a decent selection that you can rent for $10, they might waive the fee if you were planning on buying one there.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
belleville. bullet hole is right down the street but i'm pretty sure they dont rent. i'm near lakewood fairly often i'll check that place out. thanks

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
its off airport rd, brick armory is another range that is in the industrial park. What are you looking to do with the pistol? Got anything in mind?

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Do manufacturers ever have demos?
Sig Sauer did a demo last year where they fired 25,000 rounds mag after mag in thier P220 with only 5 misfires and 3 were deemed to faulty ammo. It doesnt get any better than that.

A guy on you tube also fired a Glock 19 repeatly mag after mag until the frame melted from the heat and it kept on feeding and firing.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you looking to do with the pistol? Got anything in mind?
just homeowners insurance

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
i just bought a sig sauer 2022 9mm. i love the thing to death..shoots awesome. it all depends on balance of the gun and how the gun shoots. def get out there and hold and or shoot as many pistols as you can to find the one right for you.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
just bought a sig sauer 2022 9mm. i love the thing to death..shoots awesome. it all depends on balance of the gun and how the gun shoots. def get out there and hold and or shoot as many pistols as you can to find the one right for you.
[up] I would go with a large caliber like .40/10mm/.45 if your looking to use it for home protection although shot placement is key. Its going to cost you more $$ for ammo but make sure whatever you choose you fire whatever kind of ammo your going to use out of it. You cant go wrong with a Sig or a GLock I would get a surefire light for it too

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
yeah def a bigger cal for home protection...if you a just plinkin around and also for protection i would go with a 9mm or a revolver...

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
pmed ya hollowpoint

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Quote:
What are you looking to buy? I am thinking about selling my .357

You keep dangling that carrot. Whatdya got?

:) That's because I don't really want to sell it. It is a smith & wesson 686 stainless 6" barrel. Hopefully I will find a job soon to I can call off my firesale:)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's because I don't really want to sell it. It is a smith & wesson 686 stainless 6" barrel.
I wouldnt want to sell that either, my friend has one, they are sweet guns.

Murray, good luck on your search. For what its worth, I like my Glock, and if its not going to be handled much, and mostly pulled out while in duress, you cant beat the fact that its just point and shoot, no nonsense so to speak.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Shore Shot is the best place.....But if you wanna skip all the "test drive's" ans get a quality "all around" handgun go with the Kimber 1911, or any model 1911 for that matter. They're sturdy, accurate, and carry a good WALLOP!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
For any home defense, I would recomend a double action revolver, and not a semi-auto. Keeping a mag loaded all the time can depress the spring permanently causing feeding problems. A revolver with a few speed loaders solves the problem. Both are easy to load in the blink of an eye. You may have to reload more often with the revolver, but heck-ater 6 shots, your home invader should be dead or running out the door anyway

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Keeping a mag loaded all the time can depress the spring permanently causing feeding problems
Thats why you rotate mags every 6 months...ive never had any problem with this ive left mags loaded for a long time and fired without problems. You just have to get a quality magazine and good springs.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
For any home defense, I would recomend a double action revolver, and not a semi-auto. Keeping a mag loaded all the time can depress the spring permanently causing feeding problems. A revolver with a few speed loaders solves the problem. Both are easy to load in the blink of an eye. You may have to reload more often with the revolver, but heck-ater 6 shots, your home invader should be dead or running out the door anyway
Quote:
Keeping a mag loaded all the time can depress the spring permanently causing feeding problems

Thats why you rotate mags every 6 months...ive never had any problem with this ive left mags loaded for a long time and fired without problems. You just have to get a quality magazine and good springs.
I agree with both. However, I lean toward the revolver for home defense. I think a large frame revolver is more intimidating when just pointed at a threat. ( i.e "make my day", "feel lucky punk")That could allow you to chase someone off your property without firing a shot. That is something to be considered in this wacky state. I know a guy that fired a warning shot to chase an intruder. That was several years ago. As far as I know he still didn't get his expensive pistol back from the police.

Personally I am more paranoid about someone breaking in when I am not home and stealing my guns so all my guns are in the safe. The revolver is in there with a charged speed loader next to it so I can get to it somewhat fast. I do not keep the magazines for my .45 loaded.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I keep dozens of mags loaded at all times and have never had an issue. I rotate them and they are each emptied at the range at least once a year. Never a feed problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts