New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the first pin set to 20 yards then start to sight in at 10 yards and follow the pin, how do you get the pins set when you go 30, 40 or 50? Is there a trick to the spacing that "should" get it close?

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
That is correct but if you're not sure about setting multiple pins you prob haven't done much. If you're planning on hunting maybe consider just one pin at 20. At most two pins for now. Long pins are not for the typical guys deer rig

·
Banned
8,451 Posts
You only need one it should be good from 12 to 26yds depending on the bow. If you haven't shot alot i wouldn't recommend shooting past that.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Same way trial and error. But a little advise when I shoot multi pin I never sighted at even ranges. I always did 25 and 35 for hunting and for 3d would go to 45 and 65. One almost never is a deer at exactly 20 yrds. And depending on the bow the 25 yrd pin will be almost dead on at 15 so your closer range is covered as well. Just what had worked for me in the past. I have since went to single pin and won't switch back.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Agree with the above comments mostly trial and error.
I practice with my 3 pins 20, 30, 40 even though I have never shot a deer past 30 yards I still practice 40 incase that situation arrives.
Only thing I can say is practice practice practice and only shoot up to the range you are confident with.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
get the react sight it does it for you.....personally I don't see a need for so many pins........I use one pin out to 35 yards

·
Banned
722 Posts
Good thread! Great info. .... Only thing I'd add is either buy a range finder or a long measuring tape for exact yardage when zeroing up ur pin or pins.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
If you're shooting 60-70 lbs they should be no more than approximately 1/4" apart... Start there and adjust as needed.

Once the heights are set and you are grouping good adjust your left/right according to the furthest pin you have... The others will be fine.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have a 5-pin sight. I "zero" in each one individually. That is, I sight them one at a time individually. I do them at even 10 yard increments. The top pin, I stand at 10 yards - and i adjust it until I get a good group. Once I get it, I lock that top pin and don't move it. That is now my 10 yard pin. Then I move to the next lowest pin. That 2nd pin I shoot at 20 yards and when I get it grouped good, I lock the pin there and that becomes my 20 yard pin. Move down to the 3rd, 4th, etc. pin - rinse, repeat.

Now, if I need to shoot at 15 yards, I just aim using the middle space between the 1st and 2nd pin (my 10 and 20 yard pin). I practice this too, just to make sure that's the proper sight picture I should have. For 25 yards, aim between 2nd and 3rd pin.

In the end, I really only need three pins, because I'm not good enough to consistently group at 40 yards or beyond (my 4th pin is my 40 yard pin, but I'll never try to take game at that distance, I'm not accurate enough with it. I'll play around with it at the range though, just for fun). My fifth pin isn't even used, I should take it out. I don't even have a yardage for it. I just moved it all the way down on my sight and I just ignore it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts