New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that learning to move quietly can catch you a deer. But, definitely I'm wrong because I was reading this article https://www.toolazine.com/spook-deer/ which talks about some mistakes that inexperienced hunters like me can make in the field. I'll try this out on my next trip, but besides this, can anyone share their tricks and techniques as an excellent hunter?

·
Registered
28 Posts
TIP #1: BE OBSESSED WITH SCENT CONTROL
Never, ever underestimate the importance of wind direction and scent control when hunting whitetail deer. Their noses are sensitive defense systems that help alert them to predators… and that includes you!

Can you just roll up into the woods with a smoldering Marlboro Red dangling from your lips, randomly pick a tree stand or blind to hunt in, and get lucky? Sure, there’s always a story. But, taking this approach is not setting you up for hunting success.

If you want to increase your chances of taking a whitetail, you need to be as “invisible” to the deer as possible.

TIP #2: MAKE THE WIND YOUR FRIEND
So, you’ve been careful to remove and keep as much human scent off you as possible prior to the hunt. But, that’s only a part of a good scent control hunting strategy.

It’s imperative that you pay attention to wind direction each and every time you prepare to hunt. Ignoring wind direction is one of the biggest mistakes you can make as a hunter. That’s why wind direction makes our list of deer hunting tips. And, it goes hand in hand with scent control. Even if you’re hunting in suburban areas, where deer are more accustomed to human presence, you need to be in tune with the wind.

As we’ve already mentioned, a deer’s nose is a defense mechanism. If it smells you, it smells danger. So, you don’t want your scent blowing over areas that are holding deer (the last thing you want to hear is a deer blowing because it smelled you).

TIP #3: JUST BE QUIET ALREADY!
Sorry, didn’t mean to yell that tip at you.

It seems like it should go without saying, but you are arguably a deer’s #1 predator. It’s going to be hard to be a good predator, though, if you announce you are coming.

Let me explain.

Are you walking through the woods like, well, a human? Deer know what other animals sound like moving through the woods. They also know what people sound like.
So, do all you can to be as stealthy as possible. Try walking on the heels of your boots to make less noise.

Also, if you are stand hunting, the unwanted “ping” of your bow, gun or other gear hitting your stand is enough to make a deer take notice that something isn’t right. Be as quiet as possible.

Also, take care to be as silent as possible when getting your bow or gun up to your hunting stand. Wrapping metal gear in duct tape or applying foam padding to load items is sometimes helpful.

And then there’s the dreaded cough. Do everything you can NOT to cough, but certainly try to muffle the sound as much as possible if a cough is unavoidable. You might should stay home and rest rather than educate the deer to your presence.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Trips to Texas improved my stalking skills. In the game rich environment I was not worried if i blew a stalk another one was around the corner. I stalked deer, Javelina and racoons! lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts