New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I have a dog collar type of clip on all my haul lines so ,around the butt stock 2 turns and clip it back to itself. Also on my lines about 3-4" up from the clip I have a loop and once up there the loop goes to a tree hook and stays there till lowering the gun. This way if bow or gun should fall there's no damage and the gun will fall and hang barrel down.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I make a loop in the haul line and slide it over the barrel then tie off on the trigger guard or on the grip section of the stock just below the guard this keeps the gun upright the whole time when raising and lowering. I can usually just lean the gun against the tree my stand is in so only the stock ever touches the ground. If I'm using a climber I have to lay the gun down. I've been doing it that way for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The OP also mentioned he wants to prevent obstructions in his barrel. I'm also curious what everyone does to prevent snow & dirt from getting in their barrel. When I remember, I wrap my muzzle in a baloon, but more often than not I forget or my kids don't have an unused baloon laying around, so I end up putting my muzzle in a glove and hope it doesnt fall off when being hauled up a tree.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
I keep a platic Baggie and rubber bands tucked inside the limb saver... before inhaul
it up and down I slip the Baggie on for protection. you can use a glove too.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
knot on the trigger guard,, then run the rope up the barrel,, loop\knot on the barrel,, this will keep the gun straight up. Get a good solid rope. I bought one from a gun\sporting goods store and it is starting to fray already.
That's a great idea. I'm sure it's something you can make yourself

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Sling over my shoulders as I climb my ladder stand. If using my climber I attach pull line to my sling so barrel comes up first. Before doing that I put a Baggie on the muzzle to prevent debris from getting down the barrel and also make sure the gun is clear of any branches so it won't get snagged when I haul up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.