New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my father came over yesterday and brought a ton of peppers from his garden. cayenne and others. i need to freeze most of them because i cant eat them all now. i was looking up on internet about freezing them. anyone have any tips or how they do it?

thanks

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just cut them up and freeze them in zip lock bags. Now they will not be as crunchy as a fresh pepper, but they work just fine for things like chili, or sausage peppers onions, etc.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I just cut them up and freeze them in zip lock bags. Now they will not be as crunchy as a fresh pepper, but they work just fine for things like chili, or sausage peppers onions, etc.
OK here is how I do it mostly with Bell peppers for cooking later when they are expencive.

Punch out the core and cut into 1/4's or smaller as you can always cut em smaller later on.

Let them dry off a bit or do it your self with a clean towel than spread them out on cookis sheets freeze and when frozen put in a gallon zip lock.
By freezing on a try first they won't all freeze together and that way you can pull out what you want even if it is just 1 or 2 pcs. @ a time. I will freeze a bushel of pepers cut up like that and put into several gal. size zip locks and it will last all year weather chopping of 1 or 2 pcs with eggs or doing a batch for Sausage and peppers.

For Chili's cut em up and dry them for soups and stews down the road. (We are drying Tomatoes in the oven right now just like we do oven jerky!

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Kielbasa/ Pepper King.......you have a pm!

I've always just stuck them in ziplock bags and frozen them.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Remove the seeds, slice them up and freeze in freezerbag. You can also dry out the seeds and use an old coffee grinder the grind them up. Just remember not to touch your eyes when doing any of this with hot peppers:D

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
When vacuum sealing veggies, I always freeze them first in the vacuum bag(one end open) , then vacuum seal them . That way the soft veggies are not squished by the vacuum sealing.
And like JB, I freeze them separatly, not in a clump.
Except for corn off the cob :p

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
When vacuum sealing veggies, I always freeze them first in the vacuum bag(one end open) , then vacuum seal them . That way the soft veggies are not squished by the vacuum sealing.
I freeze them first on a Teflon coated cookie sheet then transfer to a zip-lok freezer bag left opened, Then I vacuum seal that bag in a vac bag. This way when I open the vacuum sealed bag I can take out the bag of veggies,use what I need and reseal the zip-lock and place back back in the freezer. Just froze a bunch of Tomatoes,zucchini, stringbeans and corn.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I have a ton of pickled peppers
Wow do you by any chance know Peter Piper?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.