New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old would you say this deer is?

Im puzzled being hes only a 6 pointer but wide big bodied and good mass. Think he's maybe on his way down.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I don't think he's on the way down. I would age him at 2 1/2. But he will never get more than a 7 point rack. I think he's maxed out his potential. My daughter got one like that last youth day-a big high and wide 6 point. The state folks aged the deer at 4 1/2. he was a zone 6 buck, and just would never get more than he was. But still a nice deer none the less[up]

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
[up]I think he's 3.5. A very nice buck none the less regardless

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Mid thirties...looks to have a possible drinking problem.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I think he's old enough and big enough to get shot. I've got a big six like this one at my zone 8 property.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That deer is at least a 3.5 YR. Look at the way his neck runs up into his shoulders and the nice nose on the first photo, torso is also box shaped not to mention his back legs look small (which is usally on oler deer).

I would not pass him up. [smirk]

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
for sure 3.5 maybe even older... no race horse look to him filled out nice in the hips, sagging windpipe just looks like an older buck with or without a rack.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
One thing is for certain, there is very little chance that deer is anything less than 3.5yrs old. Could he be 4.5 or even older? Certainly. (Though I don't think he is "over the hill" so to speak.)

A 2.5yr old deer, would be very unlikely to be have a rack with that width or mass regardless of its numbers of points. Additionally, that deer has a massive neck/brisket for this time of year for anything less than a 3.5 yr old deer.

JC

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
IM SAYING ATLEAST 4.5...AS CAMOMAN SAID THE LOOSE SKIN..ALSO THE HUMP BEHIND HIS NECK.. & TAKE HIM OUT

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. I started bowhunting last year and only got a doe. This will make a very nice buck for me should opportunity arise. [up]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts