New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my old grass tilled and removed along with some dirt it was probably 2-3" lower when it was removed and was replaced with topsoi. Is this enough?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Not sure, but make certain you do all the raking you need now to level the yard off, slope accordingly, work in some nurtients and then roll with a roller before putting down the sod. Water very well for the next couple of months to get good root growth.

You want that rich soil for the roots to grow into.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
I ripped up old sod which was allowed to die by the previous owner, and installed new sod. I didnt really have to add any new topsoil, just tilled the sold underthe old sod and added lime and fertilizer, and they leveled everything off. Its been almost a month since I laid the sod and its taking root and greening up nicely[up]

Good luck and make sure the turf gets lots of water for the first few weeks[up]

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
1 or 2" sufficient for underneath the sod
Yes, just make sure that when you roll out the sod you don't have any matching lines roll it out in a staggerd pattern, like bricks. water it for about an hour every other day and stay off it as much as you can for the fist two weeks. fertilize and lime the soil before you lay the sod down.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, just make sure that when you roll out the sod you don't have any matching lines roll it out in a staggerd pattern, like bricks. water it for about an hour every other day and stay off it as much as you can for the fist two weeks. fertilize and lime the soil before you lay the sod down.
Im going to make sure they do that. My landscaper is laying it down for me and I have another guy doing the sprinklers. What a pain in the a$$ trying to play general contractor and coordinate everything. This crap weather isnt helping any[wallmad] I still have to pickup belgian block too

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Also, dont make the same mistake I did. I used Scotts Fetlizer with Crab Grass Preventer under my sod. Although it seems like everything will be ok, it was still a bad move cause the crab grass prevented can kill the new roots. Use Scotts Starter Fertilzer.

Also Im told you should fertlize again not long after installation. Anyone know how long you should wait?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I hate the idea of paying someone to work on my lawn and probably would have done the whole job myself. My neighbor's kid is continuosly ripping up my lawn with his dirtbike, so I'll probably have to lay some sod before summertime too [cry] I did a lot of landscaping work when I was younger and my nickname was "sod-boy" [rofl]

Also Im told you should fertlize again not long after installation. Anyone know how long you should wait?
16-16-16 NPK when you lay it down and then 3-1-2 in about 3-4 weeks

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good advice Tim im going to make sure I have the fertilizing schedule down and also how much to buy/use. Its important to overfertilize if your grass meets up with your neighbors to prevent weeds form coming over. Jon I also like to do things whenever I can. I will do all my own maintnenace but I got a good price. They will remove 30 yards of old dirt/grass and replace with topsoil and also put in a begian block curb for me. For me it wasnt worth the risk of trying to do it myself and taking a chance on not doing it right when alot of money is at stake when I can just point the finger at them and tell them thats what I pay em for[hihi]

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
16-16-16 NPK when you lay it down and then 3-1-2 in about 3-4 weeks
[up]

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
3-1-2 in about 3-4 weeks
I am about 3-4 weeks and am preparing to fertilize. The guy at Lowes Yesterday told me to buy Scotts Turf Builder. The kind with no weed preventers etc and will only feed the lawn. But I just looked it up and it says is 29-2-4. I didnt use it yet so I can always take it back. Where do you buy 3-1-2?

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Where do you buy 3-1-2?
you can get it at Lowes... this stuff will work (cause 15-5-10 is the same ratio), but you need to use less of it so you don't burn out the lawn. It may be tough to find at Lowes around here though because they're trying to go phosphorus free and you might only find a 15-0-10, 3-0-2 or something like that.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good deal - I have city to the house, but a well for outside. Lookin' to lay sprinklers too.
i used a guy my dad used he is putting in all hunter equipment and a wireless rain sensor.hope to be done my next thursday the weather is killing me

1 - 20 of 36 Posts