New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went hunting the other day, I found myself with entirely toooo much stuff. Eventhough my climber isnt heavy, it's still alittle awkward. Coupled with carrying my bow and treking a few hundred yards, it leaves little room for a lot of accessories.

That all said, what is absolutely essential to take along?? Looking for experienced info

Thx

·
Registered
159 Posts
water bottles, grunt tube, flashlight, pack rack, and a few other things, a good backpack with many pockets helps a lot of with organizing.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
ooooooooooo......lets see. LOL it depends on the hunt. If Its wet and windy and I'm stalking, I wear a fanny pack with gloves/flashlight, knife and a drag line in my pocket....I'll have a quiver on my hip and a nocked arrow on the string of the recurve....If I'm stand hunting, it all depends on the weather....99% of what I carry in and out deals directly with warmth on the stand...If its cold, I'll be toting a back pack with my outer layers and safety gear, If not, then I wear my safety gear to and from the stand....But daily hunt on stand is just bow, arrows, and fanny pack with bow hook haul line, face mask, gloves, knife, flashlight, range finder, grunt tube, can call, and scent killer spray...If its early season or rut, I'll carry a few scent wicks and maybe a drag line with the season appropriate scent....all of my loose gear fits in a fanny pack that weighs less than 4 pounds when full.....As I said, if its any other gear, its in a back pack, and deals strictly with warmth while on stand....If like today, it was 30 degrees out, that back pack would have a fleece bib and fleece jacket, insulated camo coveralls, and a hand muff with heat packs...I walk to the stand in jeans and a long sleeve shirt, and layer up before climbing up.

Reactions: Cuzzin' Buck

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I ask myself that same question everytime i go out and i like to think i travel pretty light.
Bow,release,knife,grunt tube, range finder,flaslight, doe p, safety harness,climber, bottle of water, tow rope, phone.
Thats my basic checklist but then there is gloves, face mask,etc. which is stuffed into pockets because i dont want to wear them while walking.

·
Registered
750 Posts
all I try to bring is a call, knife, rangefinder, bow and my phone....now when it gets cold ill also carry my iwom in... (I hunt from a lock on with climbing sticks so i don't have to carry a stand)

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a pack that hold my gloves, facemask, scent spray, knife, butt out, extra haul line, strap for harness, range finder, phone charger and extra batteries for phone charger, light, gopro, truck keys, knife sharpener, and marking tape.Wear my harness in to the woods and might carry a extra sweat shirt in depending on weather

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok! Thanks cause I thought I was bringing too much but I guess I'm not!

Now, if you have a backpack, are you hanging it on a branch or another hook? Just trying to be as efficient as possible! Feel like I made a bunch of rookie mistakes the other day but again I guess I didn't other than picking a terrible spot [confused]! If a harvested a deer I really would of Had some problems...lol

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I rarely bring a backpack, but hanging it on a hook is best. I carry only the essentials and make sure nothing is clanking off anything else. There's nothing worse than being up a tree with too much stuff and nowhere to put it all

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
A flashlight, a call, a knife and a good set of binos. More than that, your pro-staffing it.. [ko]
You mean I should ditch the 12V one cup coffee maker? [rofl]

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Get a waterproof fanny pack. You can strap it around the tree when you are up it. Any extra clothes get bungeed to your climber when you walk in so you don't sweat. Oh, and toilet paper. Never forget that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd like to get my gear down to the knowledge level that I have for my fly/salt water fishing stuff. I pretty much carry the barest of bare essentials and can improvise everything I need from what I have. That being said when I go on the water fly fishing I often get away with just my pockets and possibly an extra fly box if I am unsure about what the water may dictate.

Hunting wise though it's my first year. Talk about feeling like a pack-rat. I have my climber, bow, quiver and release. Then in my backpack I have my safety harness and strap, 2 haul lines, 2 hooks, 3 knives, bug spray, scent killer, grunt/bleat, rattle pack, jacket, sunglasses, gloves and a headlamp. I'm pretty sure I don't need half of the shit, but until I atleast get a deer, and atleast a few seasons to narrow down what I really need, it seems like this stuff is going in every time.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Get a waterproof fanny pack. You can strap it around the tree when you are up it. Any extra clothes get bungeed to your climber when you walk in so you don't sweat. Oh, and toilet paper. Never forget that!!

Great suggestion! Even better heads up! Actually forgot the tp! Ha! :shthitdafan::shthitdafan:

·
Banned
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hunting wise though it's my first year. Talk about feeling like a pack-rat. I have my climber, bow, quiver and release. Then in my backpack I have my safety harness and strap, 2 haul lines, 2 hooks, 3 knives, bug spray, scent killer, grunt/bleat, rattle pack, jacket, sunglasses, gloves and a headlamp. I'm pretty sure I don't need half of the shit, but until I atleast get a deer, and atleast a few seasons to narrow down what I really need, it seems like this stuff is going in every time.[/QUOTE]

Same boat!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Some of my best hunts, I just grabbed my bow w/quiver after work and ran to one of my ladder stands to sit for an hour or so before light went away. I didn't really miss much of my gear.

Other times I bring way too much crap..........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts