New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, how many sentry (heads and neck up) decoys do you use in your spread for fiels hunting open corn or bean? I think I am using too many cause lately most of the flocks are shying away for me set up. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
one high head for every eight to ten feeders is about right. Take notice when you scout and watch live flocks of birds. If you are having flocks shying away, check your blind setup. Grass everything up real good, some guys hunt too close to hedge rows. Birds will land out in the open so they can watch for predators. Set your decoys so you have a big hole for incoming birds, too tight of a setup shows a nervous flock and will spook incoming birds. Don't be afraid to change your setup during the hunt, the birds will let you know when you have things right.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'd say I dont put out more than 3 per doz. Including feeders and sleepers. Also never point the sentries looking at the blinds. Not sure if it matters that much but its one of those things I always do and i get birds landing so it must work. Try setting your dekes up differently. in a "J", "U" or even in small family groups til you get em to land. Remember to face em into the wind also. good luck [up]

I got a doz. shells for sale if youre looking to increase your spread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.