New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you missed your first shot this year? I had 2 button bucks come in this morning and Mommy came in about 5 minutes later. She circled around for about 15 minutes and then presented a good broadside shot. I was so excited and nervous but never picked a spot and let it fly with a clean miss. Embarassing but it happens. Not the first or the last either.

Just wanted to check and see how many would fess up????

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Never, and if you do admit to it here a 20 page thread will start on how unethical you are.[rofl]

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
This is the first year I DIDN'T MISS my fir first shot!! Actually it was a dead on double lung and watched her drop in 20 yards. In the past I have forgotten to use my peep sight and use only the pin missing high and left. I also forget to bend at the waist while in a treestand. I season I chanted my mantra, "use the peep, bend at the waist" over and over when drawing back. It worked!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
My first shot was a clean miss on a doe at 10 yards! I had no idea what I was doing, but I had the pin on the sweet spot, and as she walked a little, I didn't move with her, I let the arrow go, and hit the ground right under her[cry]Fortuneately, she jumped and circled behind me and stopped at 25 yards quatering away. The second shot did the job-I redeemed myself[up]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
One season, my first shot a deer was lost not because of a miss, but because I lost concentratin in my natural ground blind, and was playing ticktactoe in the dirt with a twig. I looked up, and there was my buck, that I had scouted for (before the days of cameras and bait), not 4 feet in front of me.

Sh*t happens. Part of the experience. [up]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
first shot of the year i put it right where it should be at 30 yards broadside done deal[up] i just say to myself over and over again "calm and smooth calm and smooth" and control my breeathing. This helps alot for me personally it makes me focus on what im doing rather then getting to excited cuz no matter if its a little veal chop of a nice buck my heart still pounds out of my chest and legs shake but once that feeling stops ill hang up my bow and guns

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Haven't been close enough for a shot at a deer yet. COuld have taken a black bear at 10 yards on Saturday, though.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I haven't taken a shot at a deer yet this year. Hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Luckily I didn't miss this year so far. I'm 6 for 6.[up]

Hopefully Thurs AM I can make that 7 for 7. [ko]

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I missed mine this year, first time in along time I missed. Shot over her back. Don't know how, or why. I came home shot the bow, and its on. Shit happens, at least it was a clean miss.

·
Registered
773 Posts
With a bow? If you do not pick a "spot" then arrows will go flying wherever....Granted a clean miss is better that a wounded hit, but it sounds like you have "target paranoia"....best correct it before you just wound an animal...

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
my first shot was 20 yards away on opening morning and my arrow hit exactly were i wanted it to but my second deer was 32yards away and my damn arrow hit a branch and deflected 10 ft from deer

1 - 20 of 37 Posts