New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. I have never really hunted with a large club. Upon reading many club postings looking for members I am wondering how it all works. It just seems like a waste of 800 dollars to hunt " Private" property with 8 guys on 77 acres or even the ones who have 700 acres with 40 guys. My dad brother and I hunt all different size properties from 2 acres to 40. 2-8 acres we draw straws and only one guy hunts it 8-20 1 maybe 2 40 we will hunt two on. I have also killed several deer off public lands and permit lands over the years and I will tell you this I NEVER see 30 guys per 400 acres. and that is free. I killed my biggest buck to date from an over the counter permit property which I paid 40 dollars for and never saw another hunter in the woods from Oct thru Dec.. Are there pre determined spots on these club properties? Is it first come first serve? Just wondering.

·
Registered
12,826 Posts
personally i think anything over 500 is too much...but the problem is you have clubs that offer 25 to 35 dollars an acre and swipe other clubs property then they have to charge you 800 to 1200 dollars a yr to make up the cost

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have also killed several deer off public lands and permit lands over the years and I will tell you this I NEVER see 30 guys per 400 acres. and that is free. I killed my biggest buck to date from an over the counter permit property which I paid 40 dollars for and never saw another hunter in the woods from Oct thru Dec
Youjust answered your own question[up]

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
A club is good if you dont want to walk very far or scout alot, lets face it its much easier. state land has monsters but you have to put 10x the effort than if u were in a club

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
We have access to 750 acres of farm land with good woods around it, that is split between 15 guys-of which only about 5 of us hunt with the bow. During gun season, on the first and last day, its all hands on deck, and we drive the property.

But the largest buck I ever saw in NJ while hunting was on well hunhted ground on public land in the middle of the bow season-I saw him once. A year later, A local guy that hunts that same public land took that buck 160+" during the last day of 6 day.

·
Registered
149 Posts
$800 is way too much. Club hunting has many advantages: either private or public land to be driven is scouted all year long, you get to see and experience different kinds of pieces of land, is very fun with the right group of guys, etc. My club doesn't see many people out in the public lands where we hunt, and there have been some very nice racks in the public woods.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Also, you guys are talking only deer hunting. A LOT of guys really don't care about deer hunting but are looking for a good bird club.
Then the situation changes as to how many, how much land etc.

Deer hunting is not the only hunting in NJ.;)

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Youjust answered your own question
Not really this is a misconception!

Clubs are mostly misunderstood from those who aren't in them! If a club has 20,30,40 members what does that mean? That they are all out hunting at the same time? No thats not actually true you would have to find out for yourself how many actually hunt. In a club it is very possible you might go there to hunt on any given day and be all alone.

I know in my club I rarely see any one unless we stocked that day our birds and then maybe only a couple guys?

Opening day shotgun no showing either. Bow not much either out of like 15 members so there are plenty of opportunities for any one in a club to get game.

A club with property is a nice way to go out and enjoy yourself without the hassels of property open to everyone and the issues that come along with it.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I love having a club for one main reason, knowing that it's mine. I know who's hunting and where they're hunting. There's a big benefit, to me anyway, of not having to HOPE that no one is in my spot or that I'm going into some slob out there. I know and like all the guys in my club. We respect one another and are willing to help one another.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts