New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roughly how many does would you say you shoot a year? I try to shoot as few as possible but I know guys that shoot as many as they can. No criticizing, just curious.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Where I live the Buck to Doe ratio is 2 Doe to 1 Buck so I hardly ever take a doe. Last year I took one on a Doe Day for venison but normally I don't take any.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I shoot all that I can, especially with the bow as I can access areas I can't gun hunt.
I have people that want the deer and the home owners want the deer gone. They have reached a saturation point in some areas I hunt.
I've taken 7 so far this year with the bow.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I normally dont shoot more deer than I use which is prob. 2 deer(a buck and a doe) for the year though i usually get requests from friends and relatives for a deer so I keep hunting. the last doe I shot I had butchered for my uncle who had been pestering me for venison. He loves venison and would eat it every night if my aunt would allow it. I have a friend who wants one as well so the next deer i get is going to him.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Depends on the properties Im hunting, and if I can find people to give them to.

On average I probably kill about 4 does per year. I dont want to shoot too many because I hunt public lands. I take my does as early in the season as possible and I can never be sure just how many the other hunters might harvest.

Now if I had land to manage, that answer would be however many I need to take. They can always be given away or donated if you dont need the meat. Keeping the doe population in check is good for the herd, the surrounding wildlife and for the land.[up][up]

·
11,226 Posts
I like to take 3-5 deer a year! Now that I got these 2 does I will buck hunt only until the 3rd week of January. If I don't get my 1 or 2 bucks by then I will take another doe or two! Todays does were perfect! 1.5 years old! The best meat of all!!!![up]

Unless the piebald doe I've seen up there comes by! I wont p [no swearing please] her up! I might also take another doe or two off a different piece of property!

G

·
Normally for me 2 per year, but this year I'm sticking to plan of holding off for bucks, and to be honest it feels good to allow there antlerless deer walk. This past saturday I had a huge doe under me, I allowed her to walk also.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and to be honest it feels good to allow there antlerless deer walk.
I agree, I like letting them walk too. I watched about 30 anterless and a couple of spikes on Saturday,a lot of them right under my stand.Even though I didn't harvest anything it was still the best day I've had this year in the woods,actually probably one of my all-time best days.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's just silly. MANY areas of the state are overrun with deer. They need to be reduced.
They are only overrun where they can't be hunted. Deer herds are diminishing in a lot of huntable areas.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
They are only overrun where they can't be hunted. Deer herds are diminishing in a lot of huntable areas.
I agree, and that's why we have deer zones to regulate the bag limits.

Access is definately the biggest problem. One small piece of land I hunt is sandwiched between 2 large land areas that don't allow hunting. I could fill the back of my truck up with deer in 2 hours every time I go there and they would still be overrun with deer because they are untouched on the surrounding properties.

G

·
These land owners that don't allow hunting, but they want the deer reduced can kiss my ass. They can't have there cake and eat too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts