New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I want my intentions to be clear, Im not trying to start a war here, (though Im well aware this could start one, I hope not) Im just curious about why so many people bait, and how it makes you feel.

First off, how many of you bait?
Does anyone here strongly oppose baiting?
If you bait, do you bait for all weapons, or just for bow, or shotgun, etc?
Why do you bait?

Now Im not against baiting. I know a few people who do it, and Ive been tempted myself.

However, it seems as though many of you resort to baiting to ensure successful hunts before even trying to get the animals without the bait.[confused] That and the seemingly high number of hunters who resort to this tactic, kind of makes me sad.:( I enjoy trying to find the deer patterns, and out-smart them by being somewhere they naturally want/need to go. I feel like those who bait, must miss out on the satisfaction that comes with that. Do you guys ever feel like you're missing out because you bait?

I understand that you have to scout to some extent to locate good bait spots, but it just doesnt seem the same to me. Maybe Im wrong?[confused]

Let's hear some thoughts on this without getting at each others throats.[up]

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i don't bait, but i have no problem with anyone who does. as long as it is legal, hunters can do what they want to. everyone hunts in their own way.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snicker bars? You might catch me on the bait site.:D

By the way, Im not saying I want baiting made illegal again, and I dont look down on people who do it, its more of feeling like they are going to a last resort to get a deer, before trying the other ways. I feel like they should hang in there a little longer and try to get one without the bait first. I dont know, Im just wierd like that.

Does anyone understand what I mean?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I bait deer and have been doing so for the last couple years..I drop 60lbs of corn every couple days at my spots..Just because you bait doesnt make your chances of killing a monster buck that much greater..Sure my bait piles get hit by real good 2.5year old deer and tons of does, but rarely do you see monster bucks living on your bait pile..To me sitting over a bait pile is no different then sitting in a patch of oak trees that have dropped acorns all over the ground..You know the deer will be there just like you know the deer are going to hit your bait pile..And when that monster buck does finally apear on your bait, you still have to have your act together or your not gonna harvest him..

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Baiting is a great tool in Game management. Baiting if done wrong can cause problems to the game heirds and the land it's self. Remember baiting doesn't have to be food either, it can be food scents, sex scents,ect: anything that holds your game is a bait.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Sure my bait piles get hit by real good 2.5year old deer and tons of does, but rarely do you see monster bucks living on your bait pile..
But sometimes there are exceptions :D These guys were going through 50lbs./night.

These guys were regulars to this bait pile. once I found out where ther were coming from I was able to cut them off during shooting hours.
Last year we totaled up my " bait usage "
From the 3rd week of Sept. till the 2nd week of Feb.:

600lbs. of corn/ week
200lbs of deer mix/week
4 truck loads of pumpkins (free)
4 truck loads of sweet potatoes (free)
2 truck loads of apples
12 stands were baited
Thank god my wife helps on the baiting. It was almost a full time job
:(
It was nonstop Bait,hunt,sleep,and a little work :D

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I do not bait. Where I come from it is Illegal.
I do not have any issue with people who do it.

To compare a deer taken while baiting to one taken by more traditional techniques to me is laughable.

I almost forgot some people in NJ actually do it. I always assume when I see people showing pictures of their bucks that they were taken by the "legal" methods I grew up by.
I guess I will have to start asking if they were baited.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've never baited and have been quite successful over the years despite that.

Having said that, I have no problem with baiting and frankly, if I had the time to do it, I'd probably put out a couple of bait piles myself. Not for trophy hunting however, as I don't think baiting is a very effective tool when dealing with 3.5 year old bucks or better, but it is an effective way to increase your chances of fulfilling your EAB requirements.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I don't think baiting is a very effective tool when dealing with 3.5 year old bucks or better, but it is an effective way to increase your chances of fulfilling your EAB requirements.
If you read some stuff from the Deer experts, they will all tell you that baiting is VERY EFFECTIVE TOOL. If you put down a scent trail YOUR BAITING.

To compare a deer taken while baiting to one taken by more traditional techniques to me is laughable.
American Indains baited, The First white people here in America baited. It is a traditional technique.

Not I'm not saying everyone should put out food, Hunt the way you like to.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you put down a scent trail YOUR BAITING.
When I'm hunting I NEVER use a scent trail. I believe whole heartedly that the best weapon against a mature buck is a setup that is completely natural.
i.e Make it so the buck has NO idea that you are there and that there is nothing out of the ordinary...and only hunt that perfect spot if the wind is right.
But that's just me :)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I don't bait, because I don't have the time to do it. There are some guys on my property that did and saw a lot of does, but no bucks. I have thrown out old apples, but never hunted over them.
I don't think it will be effective for me because I do a lot of walking. However, I have thought of it for bow hunting because I can never get them in range.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont know that I would categorize scents as bait.
I look at that as a lure. Its artificial. Like in fishing, you have live "bait", and then you have "lures" (artificial). Most states laws seem to echo that sentiment as well. Bait is something that can be consumed, whereas lures can not. Not that I use much scent either, I normally only use calling techniques.

Anyway, I see what you are saying though. They are all basically attractants. A tool utilized to attract the game within range. Mystic, Im assuming you dont bait or use lures because of your staunch stance on doing it the hard way (longbow, roundball blackpowder). Am I right? Thats why Im surprised you come to the table on that side? [confused]

I also see where there are different difficulties encountered with baiting that may not be encountered using other tactics. Not to mention the work that goes into many peoples bait sites.

I have to agree with StealthyBowmen though, when it comes to the effectiveness of baiting. I dont believe baiting is as productive on older bucks as it is younger bucks and does. Mature bucks usually visit baits nocturnally, as evidenced by most game-cam pictures, and are elusive enough to know when something isnt right. These older deer usually have to be hunted with great attention to detail, and little if any disturbance to their normal routines, otherwise they usually up and disappear. In fact, studies done by experts and entire state divisions have also revealed that the success ratio of hunters who bait, and hunters who dont, was the same. So according to that study, baiting really doesnt even increase your chances of harvesting a deer. So, it could be argued that baiting should be stopped due to diseases like CWD.

I wouldnt want to see baiting abolished, for the sheer fact that many people rely on it as a means of hunting. Just the same as I wouldnt want them to abolish calling. However, with the recent threat of herds being decimated due to CWD, I would like to see stricter rules placed on baiting, so as to reduce the likely hood of spreading diseases (CWD). Its my belief that many people arent aware of the harmful repercussions of baiting, and unknowingly hurt the surrounding wildlife populations.

Well, those are my thoughts, I understand, Im not the only one with a point of view. Even if mine is right!:p:D Just kidding!:D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I'm hunting I NEVER use a scent trail. I believe whole heartedly that the best weapon against a mature buck is a setup that is completely natural.
i.e Make it so the buck has NO idea that you are there and that there is nothing out of the ordinary...and only hunt that perfect spot if the wind is right.
But that's just me
Thats one of the best pieces of mature buck hunting advice anyone can give you.

These animals KNOW all, and see all in those woods night and day, and anything out of place makes them uneasy.

Hunt like you were never there![up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
God baits.
God baits??? ((((followed by a Tim the toolman inquisitive grunt))):D

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
i don't bait because there is enough food for them to eat from the crops the farmer grows and it most likley be a waste of time and money.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Mystic, Im assuming you dont bait or use lures because of your staunch stance on doing it the hard way (longbow, roundball blackpowder). Am I right? Thats why Im surprised you come to the table on that side?
I do bait, I use baiting as a management tool. I can get a good look at the deer that come by and it gives me a chance to pick the deer I NEED to take out of the heird.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
JC said..

Mystic replied...
American Indains baited, The First white people here in America baited. It is a traditional technique.

Not I'm not saying everyone should put out food, Hunt the way you like to.
I'm sorry I assumed an educated reader here would understand the term traditional hunting as it refers to 21st century hunting. Obviously I left to much room for interpretation.

I was refering to traditional as "that which is the commonly accepted form of hunting methods by the general majority of the hunting population."

In this country that does not include food baiting for deer.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
God baits??? ((((followed by a Tim the toolman inquisitive grunt)))
Sure he does. He provides these wonderful trees, plants, nuts, fruit and vegetables that deer love to munch on. He provides natural scents that draw deer in. He provides them with the ability to make sounds. He provides funnels, water holes and streams.

Now, who am I to decide which one of these "weaknesses" to take advantage of, or which ones I shouldn't? I can't stand people who say baiting isn't "fair". Correct. If hunting were "fair" we would have to run them down naked and choke them to death. God gave us a more developed brain, if not, we would starve. Who am I not to use it?.

BTW, even if you're against baiting, it's a great idea to sprinkle a little corn (or acorns) around on the trail you are watching anyway. Makes the deer stop if only for a second for a good shot.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts