New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to get feedback on how late in the season you have harvested a buck. I would like to gauge the chances of taking a buck during the month of January especially with the impending shedding. I’ve personally never seen any antlers in January and am contemplating whether to go out for Winter Bow, which would be a first, to continue my quest this season to take a decent buck or do I do what a usually do, which is hunt a couple of times in January during Permit with a shotgun. The spot I would hunt with bow probably has a better chance of taking a buck but the shotgun property offers a better chance for a deer which would be a doe.

With that said…kindly state the kill date, number of points, and tool used.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
My friend took a beautiful twelve pointer the last week of winter bow last year. It was sometime around Feb. 15th. The antlers were still holding strong. Last year most bucks seemed to hold their antlers longer.

My friend also does a lot of serious shed antler hunting, filling boxes with anlters every year. Last year he didnt start finding antlers till early March.

Each year its different though, this year may see an earlier antler drop, and each buck is individual due to differing levels of testosterone.

Basically what Im saying is, give it a shot, your chances may not be great, but you wont shoot one from the couch while watching TV.:)

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your imput Matt. This provides incentive & encouragement. I'm going back and forth between low percentage buck with a bow or doe with a shotgun. The couch is out of the question! [up]

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I got a buck one jan. thought it was a big doe. after I found it I saw that it had busted antlers with 2" bases broken down to the burrs they were still on good. And I have seen racked bucks as late as feb. and seen half racks as early as the first week of dec.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Soory I forgotto say I was bowhunting.[up]

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I got one on the last day of one of the first Winter Bow Seasons. There were two other bucks with him. I don't remember the date but I think it was the end of January.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I took a wide 6 mid Jan two days before we were leaving for Florida last year .

I will not take any does winter bow since it could be a buck that shed already and if it is a doe good chance she is prego .

Yes it can make for a long cold sit but worth it to me .

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drag, I did buy a shotgun permit. It's starting to sound like it will be worth it to buy the bow permit too. Seems like the last day of winter bow is the magic day.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I totally agree with you Double Lunger. The only reason I'm considering taking a doe in Jan is because I haven't taken a shot at one this season yet.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I've never taken a buck after the 6 day shotgun season, mostly because I don't hunt deer much after that.
But, when I used to work midnights I would see nice rack bucks after the season well into the end of Jan and even early Feb. They are around.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
works like the Fall Bow I guess. Thanks for pointing that out as I was not aware of it. Thought it was yet another permit required to be purchased.[up]

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
should have made myself clearer. The same in the sense that a permit is not needed and can hunt any zone. Is that correct?

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We'll see how good it is. I haven't hunted it yet. Private property in zone 6. No guns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts