New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you guys on this site say that you shoot your bow 50, 60 + yards. My question is, do you feel comfortable shooting these distances in the woods while hunting, or do you limit yourselves. The reason i ask is because I'm comfortable shooting at a target out to 40 yards with a descent group, but generally don't feel comfortable shooting that far in the woods. Wondering what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Same as woj.

I practice out as far as 70-80 yards.

In the woods, I have shot one deer at 37 yards, but that was just a perfect situation, everything else is mostly under 20.

It all depends on the shot though. Sometimes I dont feel comfortable with a 25 yard shot through a hole in brush. Sometimes a deer just seems too alert for any shot. It all comes down to the situation.

That being said, around 30 is my limit for the most part. Its hard to find a shot that seems to be perfect out past that.

Have a good one---Matt:)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I am most comfortable with shots up to 20 yards. I do practice at 25 and 30 yards, but those shots need to be under ideal conditions in the woods. Anything further, I let the deer walk and think about seeing him when I have the muzzle loader.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I want em close. I only have room to practice out to 30 yards. When I go to the Jamboree I'll let fly with some 30 plus but never on game.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
20 yards and under...Archery
50 yards and under...Muzzleloader

I have taken shoots with bow out to 50 yards (compound) and 300 yards with a Enfield 30-06 open sights ( great rifle, WWII model )

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I have taken shots with bow out to 50 yards (compound) and 300 yards with a Enfield 30-06 open sights ( great rifle, WWII model )

On animals, or targets? Not trying to be a turd in the punch bowl, just wondering.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
both.... I was a marksman in the Army. The last deer I shot is Texas was a Whitetail @ 300 Yards open sights. The bow was the first year I bow hunted, and I felt really good about the shot...So I took it.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
He never said he hit what he was aiming at Cheese. For all we know it could have been 30 yards left or 20 yards shy of the target...you get the picture.:p:D

Just kidding...Its amazing what some guys can do with open sights. My brother qualified expert with his M16 in the Marine Corps, and he had never shot a gun before, just bows. Thats open sights at 300 or 500 yards from different positions! WOW..I know I cant do that!:eek:

Im decent, but nowhere near as good as guys like mystic or my bro. I cant even see 300 yards!:D

·
Registered
949 Posts
Matty from what I read on this site from MG, he would not have said it, if he did not hit it.:) I am like you can not shot that far with open sights. I know when I first started to muzzle load hunt no scopes were allowed. I needed a big target down range to sight in. I was good to about 75 yards. But the funny thing is most of the deer I took with the muzzle loader had powder burns on them, they were that close.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I love to have them come in that close. For me something at 5 yards gets my heart pumping.....WHAT A RUSH. Thats way I use a muzzleloader and Long Bow 20 or 50 yards is all I need, And I can hit what I aim at. Like last year when I was deer hunting and hit the smallest branch on this bush that sent my arrow 10 yards to the left.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts