New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prefer to shoot under 25 yards but have shot out to 30 yards. My average Bow shot is abot 17 yards. Some of my stand sites I can't see more than 30 yards. What are your average shots and whats the lomgest you will shoot??

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would say beteewn 15 and 30 for bow. Shotgun I would blast away to 50 that's with 3.5 inch. I have only shot one deer with my slug gun and that was about 40 yards but I have it sited in for 100...I would shoot my smoke pole 125..[up]

·
11,226 Posts
I like shooting 45 yards or less.... The longest shot I ever killed a deer at was 75 yards. He was already hit by another member of my old club and busted out into an open field when we were looking for him. He was running parallel to me heading for the houses so I took the shot! I lead him by about a foot and spun him around with a 2 3/4 inch 00buck! He stood there and looked at me for about 5-10 seconds and I was just about to squeeze off another shot when he dropped! From what the butcher said I had 3 good hit pellets! 2 in the lung/heart area and one cut his throat! The first guy to hit him put a slug in his belly! I wouldn't recommend taking that shot on a none hit deer! If I didn't know he was already hit I wouldn't have taken that shot!It was by far the best shot I ever had on a deer. He was running full speed at the time!

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking bow shots when I started this thread.
As for shotgun, I usually keep my shots under 75 yards. ( I shoot 1 oz Sabots)I shoot a Remington 870 pump.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
bow is sighted for up to 110 yards..but thats only for groundhogs. ive shot deer up to 60 yards but like to keep it between 30 and 40. im not a big fan of 10 yard shots...i get the angles all wrong. i like the arrow to p [no swearing please] through as if i was on the ground. there is too much a deer can move before the arrow reaches him at 100 yards to take the chanse. i would only try that shot under perfect conditions. as for groundhogs...ive hit them at close to 75 yards already[smirk]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Good thread!

Outlaw, how many pins do you have on your bow to shoot out to 110 yards?[confused] The trajectory, and kinetic energy drop significantly out at those distances, Its really not fair to shoot at an animal that far, even if it is a lowly ground hog. Though there is nothing wrong with practicing that far. I used to practice out to about 90-100 yards, but its kind of pointless. I mean it can help with perfect form, but so does 60-70, and you dont have to walk as far to get your arrows. :D Now my furthest practice sessions are 70 yards.

The furthest shot I will take at an animal is about 40 yards, and that has to be perfect, (no wind, relaxed still animal, broadside, etc) because as was mentioned, a lot can go wrong even at shorter distances. My average bow-shot on deer is about 20 yards. The closest shot Ive ever taken was a little over 1 yard from a treestand, and 5 yards from the ground. Its embarrassing to say, but I actually missed the 5 yard ground shot. There was one limb there, and I had just read an article about aiming at the obstacle to put the arrow over it. Well, that works if you are shooting a little further. Apparently there wasnt enough arc to my shot and it didnt work in my case. I did almost scare the deer to death though, as the arrow whacked straight into the branch, shattering, bending, and causing all sorts of weird aluminum on tree trunk noises, as it fluttered harmlessly through the woods. Of course that was years ago, and I know my equipment much better now.

I used to be all into how far I could shoot though, but after 15 years of bowhunting now, I realize getting close to the animal is way more fun. This past season my three kills were about 9 yards, 7 yards, and 28 yards...Those first two were awesome.

So what are y'alls closest shots? Most memorable misses? Maybe I will start another thread.

Have a good one--Matt

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I've taken about 70 deer, only one was over 30 yards (34 yards), and about 6 were btwn 25 and 30 yards.
About 15 were between 20 and 25 yards, and the rest under 20, with most between 12 and 20 yards. I have about 15 under 10 yards, with the closest being about 10 feet...from the ground...in an open field. I hit that deer and it did a back flip onto the ground and died on the spot. I like to set up my stands so my shots are between 10 and 20 yards.

My longest with a shotgun was 90 yards with open sights and a smoothbore shooting slugs, deer dropped on the spot.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I've witnessed Outlaw's shots at 100+ yds. and the kid is all over the targets!!!![cool][up]

But, like he said, too much can happen between arrow release and actually hitting the target, so he own't take those long shots with the chance of wounding an animal.[cool][up]

To answer your question about how many pins does he have on his sight - My guess would be about 10 - 12+ pins!!!

I get confused just lookin' at his sight, and can't figure out how the hell he figures out which pin to use!!!:D

As far as me, the furthest I've shot a deer with the bow is about 35 yds. maximum, but I have shot and "clean" killed a few deer with my shotgun at 200+ yds. (confirmed by other club members), but that is only under certain "ideal" conditions (used my Remington 1100 Rifled barrel/synthetic stock; Weaver 3x9 low light scope; Lightfield 2 3/4" - 1 1/4 oz. slugs; and good ol' "Kentucky" windage!!!!.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
JT, Outlaw would be the greatest hunter if all the deer had orange dots on them the like the targets he shoots, till then he'll be just a great target shooter.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I've only taken two deer so far. Both with my Mossy 500 rifled barrel. The 1st was a doe at ~ 70 yds; perfect shot through the heart. The doe ran ~ 40 yds. The 2nd was another doe at ~ 40 yds; through both shoulders. The doe dropped right where I hit her.

As for bow, due to my limited experience with it, I wouldn't take a shot longer than ~ 25 yds.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts