New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the obvious which I would not see until I was field dressing rhe animal how do you tell the difference between a shed buck and a doe. When you're sitting in a tree stand

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Careful at last light or tall, thick brush, those dark hocks might be hard to see. Also keep in mind that if its traveling alone, better chance that it's a shed buck than a lone doe.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
At this time of year I strongly recommend that you use your binos and look at the head of any deer you are considering shooting. A shed buck will have round circles which are left when the antlers are dropped. They will soon become scabbed over and in just a short time will start to re-grow the new set of antlers for next year. Also look for little bumps on button bucks. It is always best to try not to shoot shed or young bucks if you would like nice bucks to shoot some day. I assume you are very new to deer hunting to ask this question but I am glad you are not afraid to ask when you don't know. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
just shoot the smallest bodied deer you see, that way you dont have to feel bad about it if its a button buck [ko]

·
Banned
60 Posts
Look for the Adams Apple LOL[rofl]
\
Yes a white neck patch is a sure give away.

Use Binculars to get a closer look.

Is this Deer alone. Does tend to be more than one.

Look at the shape of the head. Does are more rounded
wile Buck skulls have a flater surface on top.

For this time of year Great question.[up]

·
Registered
727 Posts
The flat spots on the head where the antlers would be
I have a group of three buck that were scrubs this year that have been hanging out together the last couple of weeks since they shed. The antler pedicle are small and very hard to see. Much more easy to see on a larger shed buck.

Chris

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Look at the shape of the head. Does are more rounded
wile Buck skulls have a flater surface on top.
[up] Round vs Square

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
At this time of year I strongly recommend that you use your binos and look at the head of any deer you are considering shooting.
[up][up]
Just harvested a nice doe, I checked it out 3 times with the binos and again with the scope turned to the max. Fortunately it came in with plenty of daylight to spare.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
At this time of year I strongly recommend that you use your binos and look at the head of any deer you are considering shooting
me too.. the doe i shot yesterday i must have checked 5 times,to make sure it wasnt a button

1 - 20 of 35 Posts