New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably the wrong forum to ask this.

I have a Yellow Lab/German Shorthair, that just turned a year old. How do I keep him from digging in the yard. Is there a spray? I even tried covering his favorite dig spot up with a pallet, he drags the pallet away.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
he has to much energy and needs an out let so find him another out let like taking him for longer walks or maybe runs. or you can try an put toys in the yard along with treats hiding them thru out the back yard to occupied his time better.

Reactions: Lou

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a dog that did this. I would put there own sh*& in the whole and burry it over with a little dirt. Then when they would go dig again they got the message!!!!!
This works, The dog will dig a differemt hole, but burying their scat in it along with some form of correction will eventually get the dog to quit. Bottom line, you have to be with the dog, stay with the dog and pay attention to the dog, correcting it the instant it starts to dig. Every time. The only time the dog should be left alone is when it is its run on a concrete slab. Persistence, consistency and patience.

Oh and don't buy into that stuff about the dog needing more exercise. I have horseback field trial bred and horseback field trial trained English pointers, most of whom are in peak condition. They are as high energy and as wired to the wall as anything this side of a Jack Russell. They do not dig in my back yard...because I do not allow it. They run laps around the back yard to the extent that the inside perimeter of my fenced in yard looks like a motocross dirt track, but when they are not burning around the yard, they are getting trained or getting petted....or they are laying around... waiting their turn for one of the above. They need work they need attention, they need something to do...with you.

RayG

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got some good answers and the typical jerks.

I can't run him everyday, but at least every other day I wear him out letting him run, in the fields and woods.

didn't think about his shock caller, one or two wacks and he should be done. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Is he digging for something? My GSP started doing it at our new house. I tried to stop him but he would sneak way to do it. Eventually he dug up what looked like some sort of truffle mushroom but it was growing under Green Ash.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no he just digs when he is bored. When he's occupied he's fine. Last summer he dug a crater under the picnic table, he did that to get out of the heat, I didn't care, felt like crawling in with him.

Going to try his collar next week. Headed to Maryland for an Archery Hunt tomorow get back sometime next week.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Shock collar will work, but don't let him see the controller. Soon as he starts digging zap him. It doesn't take long. You want him to associate the zap with the digging and not you pushing a button or holding something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is an old method of stopping dogs from doing something you done like. I used this method with my yellow lab when he was younger and jumping onto counters. Get an old empty (metal) coffee can and put a few pennies in it, tape the lid on and next time you see him do something you don't like, you throw it NEAR the dog. Not at it. It will usually scare the dog enough to run off. Take the can away right away. Do not let the dog make it a toy. Worked great for me. Jumped on my counter once and never again. It make take a few times to work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.