New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an Abu-Garcia 5600 BCX reel from Wal-Mart. Someone (with more fishing reel knowledge than me) recently tried it when I was out fishing and stated the drag is shot and I should return it. Before removong the reel from the rod to return to the store, I just tightened the drag and when I pulled, line did not release. When I loosened the drag, the line released as I expected. I am a relative novice and my knowledge of reels is limited. As far as I can tell, the reel is functioning properly. Is there anything else I should be checking?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
A drag on a reel should be able to be set to a specific pound that you want it to, and should operate smoothly while line is pulling off the spool if it dont do that then it may be shot or just need a good cleaning. What I do to keep my reels in good shape is I always spray them off with fresh water after being used and always loosen my drag all the way while not in use. Since this is a new reel if your not happy with it return it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Joe

I should have checked it out for you but as you know I got kinda side tracked, An easy way to test that drag is to tie your line to something stationary and try adjusting the drag to the desired tension you are looking for. Once the tension is set free spool the reel let some line out then reel in the loose line and recheck the drag a few times I believe he said it was jamming up. If you need parts for that reel check with www.reelforless.com tell Doug I asked him to check for you. Let me know if you need a hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.