New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im really into deer hunting and I went turkey hunting last year and had a friend calling, we had a great time really exciting haveing them run in. I have mouth calls and box calls i can make the sounds but anyone have any good resources on learning real calling? I want to be ready for spring turkey this year!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I had a real good t man take me under his wings for a season. from that point on I would call birds as much as I could all year I also would just listen to the hens talk. I still do that

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
YouTube is a good resource but the best bet is find someone that knows how to call and listen to them.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Bought every diaphragm known to man till I found one that sounded good and fit good in my mouth. Then sat in the woods and listen to the birds till I could make the sounds they do.

You would be amazed at how shitty a hen sounds in the woods compared to the "expert" callers.

Some guys are hard callers some are soft, some guys use a lot of air, some some dont. Some days your good, some days your not.

It takes a long time to find the right cut, frame, or even brand if you choose that route. Take your time and have fun with it, if you frustrate yourself you'll never be confident and do yourself more harm than good.

·
Registered
571 Posts
But the state offers a course on turkey calling at pequest trout hatchery
I took this class two hears ago.. Great class that really teaches you how to hunt turkeys and how turkeys live. I left there knowing a lot more about turkeys.

I also watch youtube to practice calling

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
trial and lots of errors lol

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Bought a QuakerBoy single reed mouth diaphram and listened to turkeys in the morning before season Then I'd try to mimic them on my way to work.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
first i tried to listen to every hen i heard in the woods. later i bought a cd with actual turkeys talking, would put it in my car and use my mouth call to replicate the sounds as closely as i could. did this every day on the way to work for months.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
im not that good yet but what i did learn was from njh member hammer4reel he showed with the calls then he showed me with no calls just mouth calling amazing!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Learned on my own. Just reading stuff online. Killed 2 turkeys in 4 years of hunting should have been 3 but that's another story.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts