New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed up a few small bucks early bow season . I did see three brutes but just to far for me with a bow . As fast as it started it dried up for me . I wound up with one doe .

At least I was out there in the woods ! Hope you had a great season in 16 !

·
Registered
286 Posts
We took two does for meat, passing up smaller bucks.
We both had the same shooter buck with a broken right leg within bow range a week apart, but neither one of us had a clean shot so we passed. then spent the rest of the season waiting for him to show up. And of course, he never did. We saw a lot of deer, and that is all that we ask. We don't get em, it is our own fault.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I took 2 does and a Buck. Both were during archery. I didnt see to much once gun season rolled around.[confused] Probably because of all the orage in the woods.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I was lucky enough to take two does! One small one in the first or second week of archery, and then another one much bigger towards the end of the fall bow season.

Then unfortunately, I lost one of the biggest bucks Ive ever shot. He was a mainframe eight or ten, with a spread well out past his ears. Decent tine height, would probably go 130-135".:(

Called him in at 8am, and got a seven yard shot, but he turned as I released and it hit him square in the shoulder blade. I got about 15" of penetration, and took out one lung. Sat in my stand for another hour, and then climbed down and left. Came back to search around 3:00pm....followed good blood till it started to run out, and get dark. Came back the next morning and followed on hands and knees. Tracked him to a SUPER thick thicket, and kept searching....ran out of daylight again. Came back.....found tiny amounts of blood on branches and thorns, and figured out what way he was going by the side the blood was on. Had to use Hydrogen peroxide to get the blood to fizz, cause it was all dried up by now.

Long story short..FOUR and a HALF days of crawling through this thicket, and grid searching the surrounding woods, and nothing..no deer.

Still gets to me.....but, I cant say I didnt try....I looked and looked for him. Nothing else I could do. :(

Other than that, I passed up a couple of small eights and a few sixes, and two spikes. The one six pointer was a brute of a deer, but I could tell he had no age, so I let him go.

I dont mind letting my buck tag go empty, but I like to at least get a doe.

I didnt get out much for shotgun, because I wanted to hunt the bears again, and when I came home from PA, the bear season was cancelled. I dont think Ive ever been so let-down.

So for me it was a rather upsetting year, I actually quit for a short while after losing the buck, because my confidence was so low. I picked up the video camera and tagged along with friends and family instead.

CONGRATS to all you guys who got deer too...seems like mostly bow-kills....thats GREAT!

Have a good one and good luck this upcoming year.---Matt:)

·
3,413 Posts
I took 3 deer in 2004, all with the bow.

Took a 5 ptr in full-velvet in Kentucky on 9/5 (that's a Sunday by the way). Only had 2 days to hunt & I wanted a buck in full velvet, so I took the first that fit the bill.

Took 2 does in Jersey. One in Princeton and one in Hunterdon. Didn't hunt with the gun this year though.

B

·
0 Posts
Missed a large spike, later that afternoon took a BB, allowed many does to walk during muzzleloader season

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I let a few dinker bucks walk during bow. Heck, I had too in zone 6 (ARs). Saw a couple nice legal bucks during bow... but they were too far away (35+ yards). Also, let a couple of does walk during bow.

Took a zone 14 doe during the 6-day overlap... took a zone 5 shed buck on the last morning of the 3 day permit (thought it was a doe).

I had a decent sized bear under the tree while bow hunting in Mountain Lakes (w/UBNJ).

·
Registered
612 Posts
I didn't get out waterfowling once... boat problems coupled with lack of time. I had a pretty dismal year deer hunting... I only got out with shotgun once, got skunked in maine, and missed one with the muzzleloader (still can't break that jinx). On the up side, I had a great year at my gun club with the dogs... my younger one is coming along nicely and has making to be the best retriever I've ever owned or seen. I just need to work with him on blind retrieves.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Had to let 11 bucks in one day walk by my stand, all in bow range, because of earn a buck.

Last day of 6 day, I took the first legal deer I saw at 2:30, a button.

The first week in Feb. I got a nice size deer, unfortunately it was a shed. Spent alot of time in the woods looking for some meat. Too bad I had to let all those bucks walk during bow, one of them would have looked nice on the wall. And I wouldn't HAVE to go out in Feb.;) We all remember the weather. I love it.:)

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
And I wouldn't HAVE to go out in Feb. We all remember the weather. I love it.

Oh boy do I! :D

I sat freezing to death a couple of times. So cold my butt would actually freeze to the seat of my stand, and I would question my own sanity.:D

I cant remember if I even saw a deer during winter bow? My brain is still thawing out!

Its amazing how you can THINK your cold during an all day sit in November! BUT when February rolls in, and your breath freezes and falls to the ground, you long for the "WARM" days of November.;)

Congrats again to everyone who put something in the freezer. [up]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I did my part with the management of Doe's. The property I am allowed to hunt on is under the terms of me taking allot of Doe's cause they are doing allot of crop damage. So I got 10 Doe's and 2 Bucks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
killed 3 does and had a bad shot on a nice 8point not too tall but real wide. It crossed over the property line and was killed by a hunter about 150 yards from me.
Got a wild goat and wild hog in Argentina, along with a ton of wingshooting, I also trapped mt first bunch of critters in 04, including my first mink!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts