New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did not see much postings from trad hunters this season. would like to hear how your seasons went wether succesful or not, pics are great too!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I haven't been able to hunt with my longbow the last few years because of health issues. I've had several major abdominal surgeries. Hopefully after I finish up PT in another month or so I'll be able to get back to it to get ready for next fall.

Now, with the traditional ML (flintlock smoothie) I had a decent year so far.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
My season started out a little rough with several of my DMZ spots being almost devoid of deer between the long seasons and aparently EHD hitting those spots along with limited time to hunt in the beginning.

So far my total is 1 OK buck ( http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article114100.htm ) and 3 antlerless with the recurve looking forward to getting a shot or two with the longbow during winter bow.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Still trying with the recurve and longbow. But hunting public land and also trying to get my son his first deer - so that's priority. I just enjoy being out there.
Good luck all.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Yes shot my nicest trad buck to date this year. Didn't have as much time to myself this year but this buck made my year. Although the 140 class 9pt I saw would be dead if I had my compound or xbow but with the curve at 30-35yrds alls I could do was enjoy the show[hihi]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
but with the curve at 30-35yrds alls I could do was enjoy the show
All part of the game.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
an addictive game at that
They want me to to rehab but I say no no no.......

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
I took a black hawiian ram this year with my recurve on a preserve hunt at Pipeline Ridge Preserve in PA...

i know i know... it doesn't "count" lol

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
i know i know... it doesn't "count" lol
You said it nobody else.

You killed enough deer with whatever so now get your ass out with the recurve and get into what you obviously want to do (Or you wold not be tagging along on this thread).
The sooner you start the sooner you will be THERE.
Not bashing but most who are shooting tech bows and crossbows who really consider themselves “Bowhunters” sooner or later have to ask themselves “Am I really all that or am I overly reliant upon factory made mechanical advantages that allow me kills I don’t deserve?”
My bet since you posted on this thread is you are there. Winter bow hunt with that recurve NOW and shoot it thru the summer and next year may well be your best year yet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
you are right jakesbeard... i DO love to hunt with my recurve.. but I have a few issues...

im strapped for time right now in my life, and dont have time to practice much. I dont shoot my bow at all anymore but a shot or 2 opening eve.. just to make sure its still on...

recurve hunting takes practice, which i cant guarentee i can do now..

I practiced a few shots before i shot this ram, and made a bad shot

i dont go in the woods unless i put all my arrows into a target at kill shots, and then i go in the woods and blow it with gut shots and misses... so out of respect to the animal, until i can devote more time practicing out of treestands etc., I will carry my compound.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
im strapped for time right now in my life, and dont have time to practice much.
Not knowing much about your life or the town you live in I find this hard to get my mind around since I spend close to 2.5 hrs a day comuting etc. yet shoot probably 3x a week year round.

No I don't spend HOURS shooting (IMO a good way to develop bad habits). Far better to shoot 1/2 doz. "Best" arrows a day or a doz. BEST arrows every other day.

Just saying if the will is there you will do it but who knows maybe are you one of those guys with 6 wives 48 kids and 3 businesses who trains his own falcons? :) If so yeah maybe trad is not for you.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had a great year chasing deer and terrorizing squirrels with my long bow. No venison for me but I did manage to kill a good 1/2 dozen squirrels.

Since I started down the road of traditional archery I never judged success or failure on the number of kills I make every year but on the amount of relaxation and enjoyment I get from hunting with traditional archery gear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts