New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you'll let a deer lie overnight?

One of the places I bow hunt is right on the edge of what now has become flooded timber. It was hard enough to walk around in there when it wasnt flooded. I stepped in a sink hole once and almost couldnt get out.

The deer bed down on higher ground on the other side of the woods (someone else's property). They come out in the evenings heading to the fields. Well if I shoot one, there's a very good chance they are bolting back into that swamp. No way Im tracking in there once the sun goes down.

That being said, I never hunt until last light until its cold enough to let them lay overnight. Tonight I left at sunset and I wouldnt have shot that late unless it was pretty close shot or a hell of a deer. Its only going down to about 58F tonight.

I've always used a certain Temp as a cutoff, but i'd like to know what you all think.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I would like to think that for the rest of this season, the nights will be cool enough not to have to worry about it. Even at 60 degrees it would still be good.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
As long as you stay away from the meat around the stomach area, you should have no problems. I use to hunt a place like that off rt78, we got a cheap rubber raft to get the deer out.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
60deg's is about the hottest, if you want to have some of the meat that is.

As long as you stay away from the meat around the stomach area, you should have no problems
Only if it gut shot. But if I gut shoot a deer I wouldn't let it sit over night, I would to clean it ASAP

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I was always told growing up that the warmest it could be was 50F. Looks like I've left the woods early alot of times for nothing. [sad] Not anymore! [up]

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
But if I gut shoot a deer I wouldn't let it sit over night, I would to clean it ASAP
Sometimes it's best to leave gut shot deer overnight and look for them the next day. Might take them 6 or 8+ hours to die, and if pushed, they can go a long distance.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I don't mess with any deer meats that aren't iced within an hour of shooting, and then kept at 45 degrees or below before and after butchering.

In this warm weather I ice the deer's cavity to cool it down as fast as possible, and quarter/ice the deer right after tagging it in or put it in the refrigerator.

I "fine" butcher the cuts I want over the next few days and "age" the meat in the refrig for at least 5 - 7 days (from the date of shooting) before vacuum packing/freezing.

With geese, ducks and pheasants, I hang them in the garage (50 degrees or below during this time of year) to "age" them for 3-4 days, also. Sometimes I leave the innards in, sometimes I take them out-only if I'm gonna eat them.

Hope this helps.[up]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I guess my big question is, how far is it from where you are hunting to the swamps? If it's over 100 yds, I'd take the shot. A well placed shot should result in a dead deer in 100 yds. Maybe it's just me, but that's what my rule would be.

David

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess my big question is, how far is it from where you are hunting to the swamps?
Less than 15 yards.

It never used to be flooded timber but the people to the east allowed Beavers to dam the field run off on their property to enhance the duck hunting. Now it never dries out. Its not deep, but like I said one wrong step in your in a sink hole. Its no fun believe me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts