New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a hike today on a piece of public property and found several stands in a area I was planning on hunting[wallmad]. I don't want to tick anyone off, but how close is to close to a fellow bow hunter to hang a stand? How close would it have to be for you to get mad at the guy who hung his stand after you?

·
Registered
661 Posts
You probably would want to consider another spot. If you saw a bunch of treestands in an area you wanted to hunt the hunting pressure is probably going to be really high. To greaten your chances I would hunt in that general area... Just my opinion though. maybe a hundred yards?

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
hmmm, state land you could b a dick if you wanted to cuz you have just asmuch right to be there as he does, but morally, ethically and being a fellow hunter, i would give other guys a few hundered yards if possible, but thats just me, i cant stand being on top of other people

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured 100 was definitely safe. It is not a big piece of property and I'm not going to not hunt it just because other guys are there. I just want to be respectful.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I've got about 20 trees I hunt. Last year someone set up stands next to 6 of them. I wonder if they knew the next guy was hunting 75-100 yds away. one guy put a stand up and I avoided hunting my tree and I never saw him there.[wallmad] So I try to hunt mid week when possible . But I think 100 is ok. [up]

·
Registered
781 Posts
How frustrating is it though to avoid an area you want to hunt because someone hung a stand there but NEVER hunts it... I have hunted a few places pretty hard 3-4 days a week and never saw another person yet there were at least 4 stands in a prime area i avoided to give them space yet they never showed.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
when i go in if i could see the other hunter i am to close but its public land i use a climber its first come first serve alot of areas i hunt are loaded with stands and most are hardly ever used even on a weekend lots of permanent stands aswell even though their not leagal its all part of the public land bs
just like the a holes that come in during shot gun and sit on the ground 50 yrds from you even though you were their fist

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I agree with herd buck - Some places I go the stands have not been touched since last year, obvious gun only stands. I am going to get there first, and negotiate from there if need be. I use climbers or a pop up blind so could move if I must.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i would do a drive by during the week when the season opens,maybe the guys are weekend warriors and you could get in there during the week.if you see vehicles all week i would look elsewhere

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So whats your goal? Doe, 4,6pt what? Think the 8's are enjoying all the traffic? They left already, so whats your goal. Need a doe set up with them
My goal is just to hunt.

The place gets very light pressure, and is very thick. I could set up 75 yards from any stand that's there and not be able to see if someone is in it. I never hunted public land, so I don't what's considered being a "jerk" or a "fellow hunter".

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
If I'm walking into an area and see someone there, or get flashlighted, I back out the way I came at least 100 yards and re-assess the situation. If there's another way into those woods without seeing, disturbing or infringing on someone else, I'll go in. I guess 200 yards would be a minimum distance to re-enter the woods.

If it's a small piece, I would just move to my next spot or go get breakfast.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.