New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house got struck Sunday afternoon by lightning. It cooked all my TVs, my computer, my dsl modem all my phones. I have a question to anyone good with computers. I need to know if someone might be able to look at my computer to see if it can be fixed or if the hard drive can be salvaged. I had a lot of work related stuff that would be nice to get back besides years of pictures and other stuff. The insurance adjuster is coming today so I should find out what is covered and such. I live in Brick so if anyone close can help me out PM me. I'm on my old dial-up service now and it is so slow it might take a few hours to get back to you. Thanks Ken

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
sorry to hear that [wallmad][wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Ken sorry to hear about that. Heat and smoke are two of the worst things for computers bud. Hopefully it will be able to be salvaged.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Even if the drive is toasted you should be able to get the data off by sending it to a recovery service. It's not cheap but they can recover files most of the time. Just google "data recovery services"

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Wow. The good thing is everything that got damaged can get replaced. Glad to hear no one got hurt. If you look at the bright side, your chances of getting struck again is almost zero.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
True, coulb just the power supply. You could try bringing to local pc shop and have them hook up the drive to see if its readable and then back it up to an external usb drive.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Do you know how to remove the hard drive? If so mail it to me and I will see what I can do. Or give the entire CPU unit to Wackem and I will take a look.

As for those "surge" protectors. Unless you are buying HIGH END suppressore they aren't worth spit. Whenever there is a lightening storm, you should unplug electronic equipment.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
This just happened to me and I was able to get my tower fixed.

I bought a battery back up surge protector. It cost a few bucks but they will cover anything that gets zapped up to $70,000 ( so they say ) .

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Your hard drive should be fine, depending on the age of your pc, it may make sense to buy another an plug your drive into the new one and use as a spare. Otherwise, you could end up spending alot of money replacing components that were fried (motherboard, network/modem cards, power supply,etc)
Data Recovery services can be very expensive, and unless the data on there is worth thousands, its not worth the effort.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.