1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I'd eat it.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Salami from northern Italy is made with horsemeat. It's considered a delicacy. (My uncle claimed donkey was just as good.)

Horse Salami
Horsemeat is left maturing in pieces to prepare bresaola or to get minced, mixed with pork lard, flavored, and packed. Salami usually consists of about 70, 80% of horsemeat (in particular, leg and neck), minced in medium grains, and about 20, 30% of coarsely minced pork lard (the pieces of lard must be evident in the mixture). It is flavored with salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic, and wine, and then is packed into natural cow bowels. http://www.atlanteparchi.it/parco.regionale.ticino.piemonte/salumi.html

Mangia!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
would you eat it? yay or....(wait for it...............) neigh ?
I'm laughing at my screen right now over how dumb that was.. sorry....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Although Ive tasted it before, not sure its something I'd want on a regular basis....awful lot of chemicals used in and on horses. You think cattle have a lot of drugs in their system..you have NO idea all the stuff used for horses!!! and theres no regulation because theyre not usually eaten here.

But....Im not a fluff bunny either...there are a LOT of unwanted horses in this country. I DONT like the idea that they go to mexico. Here, it used to be captive bolt to the head=dead. mexico...they stab them repeatedly in the spine til theyre paralyzed then they butcher them alive. YAY for the anti-slaughter folks who broke their own arms patting themselves on the back for banning slaughter in the US where it was regulated!!!
and, they had NO plan for what to do with all the unwanted horses...theres horses being turned loose or left to starve to death because people cant afford them. But....the antis were focused on ONE goal, banning it!!! they got their way and disappeared when people started asking "ok, what now?

If theres gonna be slaughter here, regulate it so its as humane as possible, testing and withdrawal times for drugs, and KEEP the meat HERE!!!!! horsemeat is super pricey in france, but here since horses are like "pets", the price would most likely be cheaper than beef and theres a lot of starving families that would buy it to be able to give their family meat!!!! it was common in the 70's to see horse meat in some stores and it was REALLY cheap in comparison. a lot of dog food has horsemeat as their main ingredient.....now, you got "by-products" and "cornmeal" to feed your dog.

the jobs and the meat, like everything else, went to another country!! wtf?? even beef, look at beef in the grocery store, why the F are we importing beef from australia when we have top of the line cattle right out west?!!!!!! we cant even keep our own animals in this country!!!! nobody knows what kind of regulation is in other countries!!! and people wonder why cancer is on the rise, 11 year old little girls have double D boobs and little boys look like linebackers.....but theres no hormones in the imported meat!!!!!!! yeah, right!!!

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
"Hey Waiter my steak is so tough it still has marks from when the jockey was whiping it!"....."I can't get no respect!"[rofl]

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I'd try it if someone ponys up the money... i heard theres a good place in saddle brook
[rofl][rofl][rofl]

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I had it as a child growing up in Brooklyn. My neighbors were right off the boat from Italy, and there was a store downtown that sold horse meat. They cooked some up for my dad and me and we ate it on a sandwich.

It wasnt that bad....this is going back about 30years ago

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
without those slaughter houses there will continue to be under fed horses, abandoned horses, and left to rot horses.

horses are live stock, not pets.

the change came about because of all the bad that happened since the closings.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
If I heard right, most of the meat would be exported to Europe and Asia.

As for now Canada and Mexico has the honors in butchering the old, sick and unwanted horses.

Yum. :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts