New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made a smoker from a commercial fridge....just added a small hibachi where compressor was and some vents w/chiminey works great. I can adjust heat w/regulator and vents, propane keeps heat constant. tried some jerky came out awesome. Tomorrow A few roaster Turkeys. if anyone knows where I can get some apple wood chunks in middlesex county let me know.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Are you sure the chemicals used on the inside of the fridge are safe to use with food when exposed to heat?

I remember as a kid being told that you shouldnt use an old fridge shelf (they were wire back then) as a bbq grill since they were coated with some rust inhibiting finish.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
oh...did you bleed off the refrigerant too? Freon and high heat don't mix well.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah already had it going...The fridge is insulated steel (commercial grade) and the grates are stainless,and cast(from an old grill. I can get a steady heat up to 270 degrees but I'm doing the turket at 220. the Jerky I did was 150 for 3hrs came out great. I'll post pics when it's smokin...or blown up![rofl]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Jersey Bob the freon is gone..I'm dumb but not stupid!
I didn't say you were either!

And so you guys know, Dupont's freon is non-flammable, but heating it creates phosgene gas, which was used as a poison gas in WW I.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And so you guys know, Dupont's freon is non-flammable, but heating it creates phosgene gas, which was used as a poison gas in WW I.

You work for Dupont? i have a few friends in the Sayreville plant.

Stuff that is homemade with gas though usually blows up
I've been over that a hundred times...LOL [eek] I'm pretty sure I'm good though.The Hibachi is under the closed area and well vented(open back. Plus I didn't F with the regulator or check valves. All that goes in the closed area is heat and smoke...I HOPE[eek]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Looks good to me[up] I'll bring the beer, what time are the turkeys gonna be ready?[tasty]

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good to me  I'll bring the beer, what time are the turkeys gonna be ready?
starting around 11 be done hopefully by 5.[hihi]

I like the glass door....You can keep an eye on progress
I think it's pretty neat too. helped w/ the jerky, you don't have to keep opening door to check, but it gets a lil tough when that thing gets smoking

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Pretty cool but where did the freon go? Hopefully not into the air or was it recovered buy some means.

It's against the law to disburse freon into the air these days.:p

1 - 20 of 43 Posts