New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made a smoker from a commercial fridge....just added a small hibachi where compressor was and some vents w/chiminey works great. I can adjust heat w/regulator and vents, propane keeps heat constant. tried some jerky came out awesome. Tomorrow A few roaster Turkeys. if anyone knows where I can get some apple wood chunks in middlesex county let me know.

· Registered
5,797 Posts
Are you sure the chemicals used on the inside of the fridge are safe to use with food when exposed to heat?

I remember as a kid being told that you shouldnt use an old fridge shelf (they were wire back then) as a bbq grill since they were coated with some rust inhibiting finish.

· Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nah already had it going...The fridge is insulated steel (commercial grade) and the grates are stainless,and cast(from an old grill. I can get a steady heat up to 270 degrees but I'm doing the turket at 220. the Jerky I did was 150 for 3hrs came out great. I'll post pics when it's smokin...or blown up![rofl]

· Registered
5,797 Posts
Jersey Bob the freon is gone..I'm dumb but not stupid!
I didn't say you were either!

And so you guys know, Dupont's freon is non-flammable, but heating it creates phosgene gas, which was used as a poison gas in WW I.

· Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And so you guys know, Dupont's freon is non-flammable, but heating it creates phosgene gas, which was used as a poison gas in WW I.

You work for Dupont? i have a few friends in the Sayreville plant.

Stuff that is homemade with gas though usually blows up
I've been over that a hundred times...LOL [eek] I'm pretty sure I'm good though.The Hibachi is under the closed area and well vented(open back. Plus I didn't F with the regulator or check valves. All that goes in the closed area is heat and smoke...I HOPE[eek]

· Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good to me  I'll bring the beer, what time are the turkeys gonna be ready?
starting around 11 be done hopefully by 5.[hihi]

I like the glass door....You can keep an eye on progress
I think it's pretty neat too. helped w/ the jerky, you don't have to keep opening door to check, but it gets a lil tough when that thing gets smoking

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.