New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A family friend is going through a nasty divorce, and asked me to hold onto his guns for him. His soon to be ex already once called the cops and said that he threatened her, and had guns in the house. The acuusations were false, but it still took him awhile to get them back. Since I'm holding onto his guns for him, is there any paperwork I should fill out? All are locked up and safely away, but is there anything else I/we should do to cover our rears?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Dont' know the exact laws on this, but have him sell them to you for a $1. This way they are yours and nothing can be done about it. That is if you have a FID. Get all the paperwork and fill it out.

Some one correct me if there is a law against this. I dont see how there could be, but this is Jersey.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could buy them, then sell them back, but I'm in FID Limbo right now, waiting for my local PD to transfer my address to a new card. He just wants me to hold onto them until the divorce is over so she doesn't pull that BS again.
Regarding the Certificate of Eligibilty, do I get it at my PD or can I print one out online?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm in FID Limbo right now
If there are handguns among these guns, find a relative in a different gun friendly state and stash them there. If wifey gets vindictive, you could end up in trouble.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Correct me if im am wrong a fid is only to buy guns not to own??

For example if someones dad died would the son need to legally get a fid to own his dads guns?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
but I believe on the transfer form you have to put both your and the guy's (selling or giving you the gun) Firearms Identification Number.

·
Registered
433 Posts
2C:58-3 b

No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of nor receive, purchase or otherwise acquire an antique cannor or a rifle or shotgun, other than an antique rifle or shotgun, unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a dealer under this chaper or possesses a valid firearms purchaser identifcation card, and first......

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Long guns can be transfer to someone with an FID Card, handguns require obtaining a handgun permit for any transfer. Legally!

In the future I would not ask legal questions on an internet forum!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know without a valid FID I can't own them, just wondering if there was something else I could do to show that I was the one holding on to them, and he wasn't in possesion. That way if his wife went nuts again, he could just show the PD that the guns are in someone else's safe possesion.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
I know without a valid FID I can't own them, just wondering if there was something else I could do to show that I was the one holding on to them, and he wasn't in possesion. That way if his wife went nuts again, he could just show the PD that the guns are in someone else's safe possesion.
If it was me I would pick a friend with a valid FID or someone you trust from the site. Give them the guns to hold and fill out all certificates of eligability...show the PD if you have a problem, nothing they can do once you've legally transferred ownership.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
NOT A TRANSFER, HE'S HOLDING THEM TILL DEVORCE IS OVER. HE DIDN'T SAY PURCHASE
In NJ it is technically a transfer of ownership when you loan a firearm longer than the exeptions for range and hunting and a COE must be filled out.

If it was me I would pick a friend with a valid FID or someone you trust from the site. Give them the guns to hold and fill out all certificates of eligability...show the PD if you have a problem, nothing they can do once you've legally transferred ownership.
Yup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts