New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been around in a while.To make a long story short Pop is really sick. hes a fighter though and shows no signs of quit. well the Dr. has layed off treatments for a week and dad is feeling a little better (that Chemo is a bitch) anyway he wants to do some porgy fishing tommorrow. Any reports on the Porgy?What gear do I need? Thanks guys its going to be great to get out with him tommorrow.
I'll try to get back and check you guys out a little more often but its going to be hard the next few months.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Dude I feel for you, My wife had Chemo. Take your time with him. My wife was great for half aday then droped in seconds (don't mean fall, I mean she slowed down, wasn't feeling to good, getting sick). Watch out more so being outside this time of year. Heat is very bad on people that had chemo. I hope and will pry He gets well soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know what you're going through. My wife got diagnosed with leukemia 6 months after we got married. Thankfully thats 4 years ago now. I think they are right about the 1/2 day fluke trip.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the well wishes for pop hes really gonna need em now. I suggested to him that we take a half day boat and he absolutly refused. He knows his time is pretty short and wanted to try catching something hes never caught before.Plus he wanted to go out with his good friend Brother John . Hes brother John because he a deacon for his church. We went on the Dauntless out of Point Pleasant for Sea B [no swearing please] and porgy.It was a little slow Caught a few b [no swearing please] but nothing great. I caught about 25 throwback Seabass,only 4 keepers. Dad boated a few keepers as well.I really wish Pop caught more.Like I said I don't know how many more trips I'm going to have with him.
He is starting Chemo agian today and the first set of treatments really kicked his ass.All his blood levels dropped,his mouth got so infected that he cant even drink the ensure and other drinks he needs to keep his strength.I can go on and on.
See Pop has a small cell cancer that doesnt have the usual 4 stages that go with cancer.its either contained in on area or,its spread and spreading fast.The doctor gives him maybe a year with treatment.If He dosnt do the treatments he'll be gone in 2 or 3 weeks.He had cancer in the soft pallet of his mouth 5 years ago. The Dr.s gave him 5 years and boy if they werent right on.I am trying to spend as much time as I can with him and take him out as long as he feels up to it. Its just really sad to see him deteriorate the way he is. Pop has always been a pretty big guy not tall just big and would out work guys half his age.
he put me in the stand with him hunting from the time I was 5 or 6. He always built stands big enough so they would fit 2.He taught me how to fish and we always went together hunting and fishing and we went as often as we could. Pop was a great trapper too. I went many times with him checking his sets. Fox, rats,coons,mink,beaver,he especially like beaver trapping.he caught many over 50#. The care he used to take with his hides was incredible, hours on each animal He recieved some of the highest grades at auction.
I'm sorry I'm rambling on here its just I dont like to talk about it much and I guess I need to get it of my chest.My pop wasnt just my dad. When it came to the outdoors he was and is my best friend. Its truely hard to put into words how I feel knowing soon he wont be here.
Thanks for listening guys.

B

·
0 Posts
Back in 1989 I went thru this with my Mother, I lost her 3 months later MAY 1989, I was only 18. She suffered for 3 months with cancer, so stop the smoking guys. Scrubby I know what your going thru, and feel for you and your family, GOD BLESS YOU ALL !!!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
My prayers are with you and your family. You don't have to apologize for rambling. We are all human and need to grieve. Take the time and cherish it. Mike

·
Registered
545 Posts
WOW ! THAT PUTS LIFE INTO PERSPECTIVE AND WHAT TO TRULY VALUE!! ENJOY THE TIME YOU HAVE WITH HIM AND MAY THE LORD TRULY BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

·
11,226 Posts
Scrubby...I'm pretty much at a loss for words... I mean what do you say???? The last post brought a tear to my wifes eyes and put a lump in my throat..
I'm glad to hear he is doing stuff and getting the most out of life. It's also great to see your taking the time to help him out![up] Using this time to celebrate his life instead of just waiting is the best thing you can do.
My families thought and prayers are with you and yours! ... Jim

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
my prays go out to you and your family. i went through two bouts of chemo realy knocks the the starch out of you --- bob

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys for all the thoughts and prayers.
Pop just celebrated his 61st birthday yesterday. Hopefully (depending on how he feels) We are going to hit a half day fluke trip on the Sea Hunter. Whelan, funny you should mention the Sea Hunter it's Pop's favorite head boat.He really likes Rob alot always fishes hard.So anny way if we can we will gwt out next week. Depending on how pop reacts to his next bout of treatments. It may have to be the week after.
Its funny,yesterday as he was getting his getting his chemo all the nurses were wishing him a happy birthday he asked if he could make a suggestion. The nurse said "sure, we allways open for suggestions".
pop said " ya know, you guys could use a nice little cocktail area in here". Pop sure does like his beer.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whelan, guys like our dads are a very rare and disapearing breed. They just keep going and never stop.

bob, how are you doing now??I hope all is well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts