New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from the river,(Hudson, Hoboken area), everyone was doing well on herring. All that is required are a few Sabiki rigs.....

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Are you live lining them for bass??? Or fresh cut bait?? Or are you pickeling them:D Smoked ain't bad either[cool]

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were no b [no swearing please] around at all....think it is getting to be that time of year already.....though I did think of picklin a few....

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PICKLED HERRING...

Ingredients needed:

1 pound fresh filleted herring, skin off (about 6)
1 cup salt
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon allspice
3/4 cup sugar
3 large onions, thinly sliced
3 cups white vinegar
3 bay leaves
Dash black pepper

Put some salt in bottom of small bowl. Place fish skin down. Continue layering fish and salt finishing with a layer of salt. Put weight (dish or plate) on top and refrigerate for 4 to 5 days. Wash herring well and skin. Soak in cold water 1 hour, changing 3 to 4 times. Cut in 1-inch pieces. Drain and pat dry. Boil 3 tablespoons water with 1 teaspoon allspice. Add sugar, vinegar, bay leaves and pepper. Mix until sugar is dissolved. In a one quart jar put 2 cups pickling solution, some onions and herring pieces, laying them and topping with onions. Fill to top with solution. Keep in tightly closed jar in refrigerator 2 to 3 days until ready to serve.

Yield: 1 pound
c/o Emeril Lagasse

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is all a Sibiki rig is for the most part. Just a little Mylar added to give additional flash!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yummy...I like eatin' 'em pickled or smoked, as posted above.

Bein' Polish and growing up in a Polish neighborhood when I was younger, I was taught that you'd be committing a Cardinal Sin if you used herring for bait instead of the dinner table!!! ;)[smirk]

Sabiki Rigs with the mylar are great to use - I catch the Herring in December and have them ready for New Years Eve - An old Polish tradition is to eat a piece of pickled Herring at midnight on New Years Eve to "wish you luck to assure that you will have plenty of food on the table for your family for the upcoming new year".

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well....the herring are through being salted. Now, they are pickling and should be ready by the weekend...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts