New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking bout getting a new climber and seeing what you guys think. I have hunted out of Loggy Bayous for over 17 years, had 3 three of them and loved using them. The pros of them were that the seat was attached to the platform and easily flipped up, easy climbing-bear hugging in my younger years and recently been using the climbing aid, never had any fall issues and always felt secure in them. Cons were that they were somewhat noisey going up, metal bands bend and rust and are no longer available to replace.

Pros for the summit that I see are the surround seat for comfort and pockets, fold down blind, and optional shooting rails that can be attached. Cons is that I dont like how the cable can get hung up on the backside of soft bark trees, the rail on the climber looks like it can get in the way of shooting a bow, and as opposed to the Loggy Bayous where the seat just flips up, summits seat is separate and you need to guess the right height to sit every outing.

Lone Wolf pros-light weight, packs flat, and I hear so much hype about them. Cons are same as the summit with exception of the shooting rail concern.

Do you guys have any input on these two stands?

Oh yeah, what is the Wolf Jaw for the Lone Wolf and what is that metal U shaped rail that goes under the seat-can that be locked into place and used as a shooting rail or attach summit's fold down blind to it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I've got the Summit Viper SS. (Technically, it's the Cabelas Viper SS-same stand in the same Summit box but $20 cheaper than if I ordered Summit Viper SS -go figure[eyeroll]) Incredibly comfortable. I've never had the cable hung up on any tree. The climbing rail (as opposed to the optional shooting rail) can get in the way of a bow depending on how tall you are and how close you set the seat to the foot platform. I'm 6' 1" and generally have no problems with a 31" bow. As to "guessing the height", the only guessing is how far the upper section should be from the lower. You figure that out pretty quick. Plus, some days you may want to sit a little more crouched and others you may want a little more legroom. I really can't say much bad about the Summit except...

with that being said, I've always looked at the Lone Wolf for its light weight and supposed quietness. The Summit can get clangy if not dampened for sound and a few pounds can make a big difference on long hikes.

My issue: Is it really worth the price difference?[confused][confused]

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the summit ultimate viper ss and never had a problem getting hung up. You'll wont get up a tree faster with any other stand. I also have never had a problem with the seat i set it the first time out and never had a problem since and the seat does fold and snap to itself.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Where do you live?

I have a LoneWolf Sit and Climb and a Summit Bullet backpacker (basically a Viper that folds).

You are welcome to come over and try them both and decide for yourself....YOU WILL PICK THE LONE WOLF !

·
Registered
33 Posts
gg I m down in Toms River, I think you live in turkey heaven up in North Jersey, right? I would like to test those stands, thanks for the offer. I will pm you if I can get up in your neck of the woods. Thanks again and love your turkey stories, do you sell your videos?

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Summit Bullet backpacker
Summit also makes the "Braodhead Bacpacker" that has no front rail at all-so no interference with the bow. I have two of them. As for the cables getting stuck on the back side of the tree, I have never had that happen, but have on some occassions seen some difficulty in getting past knobs, and branch joints on the back side of trees with the foot platform

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
getting stuck on the back side of the tree, I have never had that happen, but have on some occassions seen some difficulty in getting past knobs, and branch joints on the back side of trees with the foot platform
Same for me. Never got stuck on the backside just the usual knobs and little branch joints.

I have the summit goliath and just one time had the cable come loose and pop out on me. They have those bendable safety clips, well someway, somehow while descedning the oblong part of the cable loosened up and got past that clip and the cable came out. I hung from the top climber and a buddy hunting not too far away came to my rescue. Yes I was still harnessed to the tree but wasn't a great feeling. Now before I climb up I always check those bendable clips to make sure they are pushed all the way up.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
They have those bendable safety clips, well someway, somehow while descedning the oblong part of the cable loosened up and got past that clip and the cable came out.
Summit now has the quick trigger system, and has done away with the clips. Its impossible for a cable to come out on the new stands (post 2007). As for "still being strapped to teh tree" I admit that after I get into the tree at height, I sometimes find that I miss judged the tree thickness and the stand is at to steep of an angle, so I actually raise my safety harness so I'm even with the stand, and I step off-suspended in my harness, and actually re-adjust the stand for the actual thickness of the tree. I thought it was a bit of a safety hazard at first, but after watching Summit's video opn the use of their harness as a climbing harness, and knowing that its actually rated for tree use as a climbing harness, I've lost all fear and now regularly use the harness for climbing work

·
Registered
33 Posts
GG "Oh yeah, what is the Wolf Jaw for the Lone Wolf and what is that metal U shaped rail that goes under the seat-can that be locked into place and used as a shooting rail or attach summit's fold down blind to it?"

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Summit now has the quick trigger system, and has done away with the clips.
Thats exactly what happened to me is that the cable came out past the quick trigger clips. I now bend them up each time.

I sometimes find that I miss judged the tree thickness and the stand is at to steep of an angle, so I actually raise my safety harness so I'm even with the stand, and I step off-suspended in my harness, and actually re-adjust the stand for the actual thickness of the tree.
Ive had that happen to me but never thought of re-adjusting while in the tree. I have climbed down before to re-adjust I may just have o try what you mentioned.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
The offer stands..Anytime you are up this way (Near the Gap) you are welcome to try them out.
I believe the 'Wolf Jaw' is a variation of the Bow holder Grommet, but for parallel limbs. But I'm not sure. I have the grommet and it works great. The bow is right in front of you and ready to rock at all times. Very little movement is needed to reach for your bow.
The 'U' shaped bar, folds down for you to sit on when climbing or descending. It can be folded back under the seat so that it is out of the way for a sitting Bow shot, or folded up for a gun rest. It does not lock in place,just friction. You can tighten the nuts to increase the friction if you like. Also with the LoneWolf, Once your stand is where you want it, Simply pull on the two straps that tether the top and bottom together and it locks the sections down real tight. Actually Doubling the wieght rating of the platform.

do you sell your videos?
The footage is used by 'Drop Tine Productions'.
Turkey Tales Vol. I & Vol. II can be purchased at
http://www.droptineproductions.net/ .

·
Registered
33 Posts
mr12gauge Thanks for the offer, is the equalizer the one that you can adjust when you are up in the tree if the platform is not level? Havent heard much about those stands, still leaning towards Summit or Lone Wolf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.