New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the Editor:

I agree with Jon Kuncewitch's response to my earlier letter that we must identify the problem related to our bears (do we have a bear problem?) in northern New Jersey. Kuncewitch contends that hunting is the solution and compares the bear scenario with the deer scenario. We kill deer in our towns because they eat people's expensive shrubbery. That sounds like we've made attractive food available to the deer.We're doing the same thing with bears. The problem is not bear numbers. The problem is feeding the bears. A small study in Lake Tahoe reports that access to human garbage increases bear weight by 30 percent and accelerates pregnancy by several years compared to wildland bears. Again, the problem is not bears, the problem is humans and our failure to keep our garbage away from bears. The state and municipal governments simply need to enforce existing anti-feeding and garbage management laws.

Incidentally, a bear wandered into my neighborhood last week. No one chased it, no one shot it, and no one was attacked by it.

HERB SKOVRONEK
Morris Plains

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok everbody, the DR printed THREE anti letters today, THREE.....anyone up for rebuttals?

To the Editor:

With regard to bears, the problem is there are laws that are not enforced. How does one residence file three complaints against black bears without even getting one ticket for leaving a garage door open with food inside? Could the problem be the three people residing at this residence? Why are the good, law-abiding residents in ""Bear Country'' paying for services due to the ignorance and/or laziness of a few?Why are the police so quick to shoot and kill, rather than issue tickets to the offenders? If those complaining were issued fines, as well as being required to pay for services related to the complaint, there would be fewer complaints. Open Public Record Act requests are available for a nominal fee. Could these people be deliberately causing bears to come on their property? This is what the police should be asking. If I were a resident of Vernon, these are the questions I would ask the police and the mayor and council. I would want them accountable for my tax dollars and how they are spent.

For the record, 270 children died in 2007 while passengers in vehicles operated by drunken drivers. This number does not include those children killed as pedestrians by drunken drivers. Your child has a better chance of being killed by a drunken driver, or with a gun, than by a bear.

MARILYNN ENGLISH
Verona

To the Editor:

Again, there are people saying we must have a bear hunt — why? Are the bears destroying forests, attacking people, causing mass carnage, eating our food supply? No. There are hunters out there who are just itching for a bear hunt so they can prove just what? If your life is lacking any kind of excitement and you need something like hunting to fill the void, I feel sorry for you.Letter writer Jon Kuncewitch talked about the "explosive" growth of threats to people over the last few years. Many articles I read tell of bears looking in garage cans, going after a sandwich that was left out or just simply trying to find food. Maybe if so much of the land had not been paved over, their habitats would have been left unchanged. I can only hope that there will not be a bear hunt this year, or any time soon in the near future.

LINDA LANG
Roxbury

The ignorance is friggin astounding

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
ncidentally, a bear wandered into my neighborhood last week. No one chased it, no one shot it, and no one was attacked by it.
how many more times will that happen..1 maybe 2...maybe even 3 more times...but when the time comes and that bear that wanders through a neighborhood and snatches a kid..then what will happen

·
Registered
680 Posts
Maybe if so much of the land had not been paved over, their habitats would have been left unchanged.
It's 2009 and we live in New Jersey she's unconscious. I would guess that she lives in a tent in Roxbury and has not encroached a bit on there habitiat.

If your life is lacking any kind of excitement and you need something like hunting to fill the void, I feel sorry for you.
I actually feel badly for this individual.

·
Registered
10,660 Posts
guess my project for this week is to send a response to each of the letters that were printed :) Thanks for the letter Ms. Lang.... this is the first time that my name and Roxbury have both been printed together in a Daily Record article without the story being about how bad the WMC football or baseball team beat up on the Roxbury Gaels [hihi]

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
For the record, 270 children died in 2007 while passengers in vehicles operated by drunken drivers. This number does not include those children killed as pedestrians by drunken drivers. Your child has a better chance of being killed by a drunken driver, or with a gun, than by a bear.
Your chances of dying by suicide increase exponentially after reading MARILYNN ENGLISH'S misconstrued "facts."

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Why are the police so quick to shoot and kill, rather than issue tickets to the offenders?
This person is delusional.

Let's say that they issue a ticket. How is that going to prevent the bear from coming back or going to someone else's home? Should the cops be going to all the homes in Vernon checking garbage cans everyday? Give me a break.

Your child has a better chance of being killed by a drunken driver, or with a gun, than by a bear.
This person is just another whiny liberal that thinks the govt. should be involved in every aspect of your life. The fact that she chose "guns" as the other example of what could hurt your child proves it. This state makes me sick because it's LOADED with these idiots.

·
Registered
193 Posts
"How does one residence file three complaints against black bears without even getting one ticket for leaving a garage door open with food inside?"

Yes- the 'Open Garage Door' Police should get right on his case and start investigating. Right after the fat police investigate the sandwich he was eating, the polite police investigate his use of nasty words, and the politically correct police torment him for being a human with an operating brain.

Since when is it a punishable offense to leave YOUR OWN DOOR OPEN!?!

Relocate all the bears to her neighborhood. She can live with a few thousand of them in her yard. Better yet, fence them in on her property!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
People can write editorials either for or against a hunt, but because nothing is being done to reduce or maintain the bear population, it will be the bears themselves that will ulimately determine when the hunt begins. That time is getting ever closer.

A small study in Lake Tahoe
Where is Lake Tahoe, New Jersey? I mean no rational person would apply results from a study done Nevada to New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the nation, right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.