New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about getting a lever action rimfire to put under the tree as a family gift. It would just be for plinking at targets, etc.

Checking at Simon Peter Sport Shop for a Winchester, I see that they only have a few rimfire models from Henry Repeating Arms.

Anyone familiar with this company and thier guns? They seem pretty inexpensive.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I've shot them - well made. Henry makes a very traditional looking lever. I prefer Marlin Levers. You could get a good used lever Rimfire either Marlin or Henry.

Very cool gift!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have or have had Browning BL22, Winchester 9422 XTR and Marlin 39A, but I have never fired a Henry. I have heard that Henry is cheaper because of materials (more plastic). Overall, my experience is that the Winchester has the best lever action and feels the best made of the ones I've owned. The Marlin is also very well made and extremely accurate with its heavy barrel. Browning BL is another fine gun, but personally I was never fond of its look.

If you are looking for the most accuracy, then a bolt action will be best, especially with a heavy barrel. These are best if you want to make squirrel head shots or 0.5" or less groups from 50+yds.

Here is a good list of .22s for all price ranges:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rec_rf_rifles.htm

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Rossi makes a real nice 22 pump. its called the gallery model. dont know if they still make it, but that gun could take the wings off a fly at 50 feet![up]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts