New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Like the title says, I'm looking for experienced hunters to commit to being a hunting mentor for veterans.

I'm a Marine Corps Veteran who served 2 tours of duty in Iraq, one during the initial invasion in 2003 and another during the insurgency from 2004-2005. Like many vets, I struggled with the transition to civilian life after my time in service. Something that helped me tremendously was learning to hunt. It brought me peace and got my heart pumping at the same time. I'm sure I don't have to explain those feelings to the folks on this forum.

Based on my experiences and a desire to share them, I'm working to build a nonprofit that introduces military veterans to conservation/management hunting as a way to ease their burdens and assist in the transition to civilian life. We'll provide gear, a hunting spot, classes/workshops/training, and a mentor to show them the ropes.

I've partnered with a handful of knowledgeable individuals, conservation groups, as well as township management programs, and they have been generous in offering their time, the use of their facilities, and exclusive access to hunting locations. We're putting together a pilot program for the 2023-24 deer hunting season with 6 veterans signed on so far. Can you be a mentor to one of those vets? If you're a military veteran yourself, that would be a bonus but it's not required. You just need to be willing to commit your time and expertise. Please reply to this thread with any questions, and PM me your info if interested in being a mentor.

I hope this doesn't go against vendor or ad policies. Right now, I'm very much acting as an individual and am mainly out of pocket on this. I'm running this pilot (with a lot of help) to prove out the concept so I can build a nonprofit around the idea for 2024-25.

· Registered
60 Posts
Hi all. Like the title says, I'm looking for experienced hunters to commit to being a hunting mentor for veterans.

I'm a Marine Corps Veteran who served 2 tours of duty in Iraq, one during the initial invasion in 2003 and another during the insurgency from 2004-2005. Like many vets, I struggled with the transition to civilian life after my time in service. Something that helped me tremendously was learning to hunt. It brought me peace and got my heart pumping at the same time. I'm sure I don't have to explain those feelings to the folks on this forum.

Based on my experiences and a desire to share them, I'm working to build a nonprofit that introduces military veterans to conservation/management hunting as a way to ease their burdens and assist in the transition to civilian life. We'll provide gear, a hunting spot, classes/workshops/training, and a mentor to show them the ropes.

I've partnered with a handful of knowledgeable individuals, conservation groups, as well as township management programs, and they have been generous in offering their time, the use of their facilities, and exclusive access to hunting locations. We're putting together a pilot program for the 2023-24 deer hunting season with 6 veterans signed on so far. Can you be a mentor to one of those vets? If you're a military veteran yourself, that would be a bonus but it's not required. You just need to be willing to commit your time and expertise. Please reply to this thread with any questions, and PM me your info if interested in being a mentor.

I hope this doesn't go against vendor or ad policies. Right now, I'm very much acting as an individual and am mainly out of pocket on this. I'm running this pilot (with a lot of help) to prove out the concept so I can build a nonprofit around the idea for 2024-25.
Wow, that’s awesome 👏. Thank you for your service.

· Registered
1,329 Posts
I'd like to help, I served in SEA and am willing to help out DAVs with a salmon fishing trip or a deer hunt in Ocean County. Shoot me a PM.

Reactions: longbow
1 - 6 of 6 Posts