New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know JDH has the same bow so I look for your help, but perhaps others have similar experiences with different bows.

So I have a new Parker Hornet crossbow and tonight began sighting it in. With field tips, my eight year old is shooting fletch breaking groups at 20 yards. Tonight I’m sighting it in 30,40,50 and even 60 yards with sub 2” groups with field points. These were using the standard Parker bolts that come with the bow.

For hunting, I bought Red Hots as crossbow guys say they are worth the money for shots over 30 yards. First, the 20” Red Hot bolts measure exactly 20”, but I noticed the regular Parker arrows are 20 ¾” plus, (despite them reading 20” on the side of the arrow[confusedagain]). Now the Red Hots at 25 grains more with field points, shoot 6” lower than the general bolts. So I accept this extra weight as reasonable and adjust the scope. Soon I’m hitting darts with the Red Hots at all ranges.

Now I put on the broadheads, Slick Tricks 100Gr and there is another drop of 4”??[eek] The shots are consistent, no windage issues, but to drop 4” from a 100 gr. field point to a 100gr. broadhead seems odd. I ran out of daylight before further adjustment, but a 10” overall drop (from field to broadhead) with the supposed “better arrow” is puzzling.[confused] I'm sure adjusting the scope will work but I never had a compound arrow drop 10" so this is weird. (BTW-at 50 yards the arrows still are nearly fully buried in the brand new target, no matter what tip is used) Anyone else ever see these disparities in arrows and/or bows???

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Try a different BH and see if it hits low with the tricks. If not then it's the tricks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I use Ten Point Scopes where you can set speed of the bow and you're right in. FYI I know but it can be tricky and you have got to play around with different bolts . I never like a lighter bolt .I use Victory XBolts they have a great FOC with a 100 grain head. Most of my friends use those or 2219 bolts . One guy uses 150 grain and light Carbon express bolt and blows through deer at 50 yards. Its a Trade off with weight and speed. To keep it simple Pm JDH . I may sight in to 60 yards but rare ever shoot that far with X Bow.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I think the 2219 arrows are more consistent than the carbons for some reason . I shoot a Ten Point turbo and the only broadhead that flew like my field point was a Scwacker 100 grn. I tried ,Rage ,Muzzy ,Slick tricks . I kind of set bow up fast before the season .After this season I am going to move up to the 125 Swhackers unless I run out of the three Swhackers 100 I have left . The Easton 2219 all hit where I aimed ,the carbons were a little off not by much at 20 yards so I imagine at 40 it would be more . It sounds like you are going have to experiment with different BH until you find the right one and it can get costly . Ask your fiends if they have extras you can try . If you do go to Swhackers you can use electrical tape to keep them closed . I have heard and read Grim reapers , Spit fires ,kill zone ,blood runner all work good too . These are all mechanical . Fixed blade your on your own. Good Luck

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I use Black eagle Executioners with the 110 grain brass insert in the front. Most broadheads group well with extremely heavy front of arrow.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
If the parker bolts are flying good stick with those. That's what I have my son using with his Parker Challenger. He shoots spitfires out of it with no problems.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I didn't catch what yardage you were shooting when you calculated the 10" drop but assuming it was significant (like 40 or 50 yds) you lost 6" when you switched to a heavier bolt which is a lot but you switched bolts and negated your earlier sight in so forget about those 6". The other 4" lost from the switch from field point to fixed blade broadhead isn't at all unusual either. I would consider going back to the Parker bolts if you want a flatter trajectory & to expandable broadheads if you want to reduce the 4" loss.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What scope are you using? You can go on the parker web site and use the Red hot calculator to figure out arrrow drop. You will need to chornagraph the speed your bow is shooting and punch in the info and it with calulate the arrow drop.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Whoever said buy the Parker broad heads was dead on!! All six flew like field points and I'm hitting dead center at every distance! For giggles, I put the Slick Trick Magnums back on and they dropped 4" (consistent). Could be the weight, could be the shape but whatever it was...I'm good to go[up] (Now if I can only see a deer I might have a shot![cry])

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
interesting... I use the parker bolts with the green and orange fletching. it's interesting that this year bolts were a little longer than last years bolts. anyways they all fly great, kill deer, and are a little cheaper than the red hots. Carbon express torrid SS for me this year... knocked down 5 deer already! glad you got it figured out... go get em!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Most fixed heads will fly different from field points.. try a spittfire max head. Will fly the same.
.....absolutely correct! I shoot them out of my Excalibur and they fly exactly as their practice heads which I use as field tips...100G. Depending upon what you have up front...i.e. aluminum insert (light) or brass insert (either 92g or 110g- much heavier) you might have to go with a 125 or 150g Spitfire.... I shoot with a 92g brace insert hence I can use a lighter BH to achieve the same FOC.

Good Luck,

Anthony:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I use Black eagle Executioners with the 110 grain brass insert in the front. Most broadheads group well with extremely heavy front of arrow.
....Excellent arrow selection!

Anthony:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts