New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scouted the piece of property I'll be hunting this year ~ 6 times so far. I would have like to do it more but it's just too far ~ 1 hr, to do more often. In any case, I'd like some advice on where to go/place my stand.

The pic I've attached shows the property. The green sections are corn fields, and the blue section is a grassy field. From one of the recent times I've been in there, I saw a doe in the grassy field ~ 6am, as I was walking in. And then later that day, ~ 9:30am, as I walking along the right corn field I heard movement, from what sounded like deer, in the brush between the right corn field and the grassy field. This brush is extremely heavy right now and I do not believe I could put a stand in there at this point in the year.

So, where should I go?

Hunting Spot

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
What you need to do is figure out where they are feeding and bedding and set up accordingly.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DBuck,

Well, based on the fact that I saw a doe in the grassy field at 6am, I would tend to think that while the gr [no swearing please] is tall, the deer are bedding in that field. As for feeding, OMG. I can think of a ton of places where they could go and eat: any of the corn fields, in the woods - oak trees and bushes, or in the grassy fields.

There's alot of trails throughout the woods which are used by horseback riders and it seems the deer.

I'm thinking that my best setups would be somewhere near the water as the deer will need to get something to drink at some point in the day. My best guesses would be between the big lake and the small pond, between the lower-middle corn field and the lake, or just below the lake at about the 7 o'clock position from the G in Google (lower-middle corn field).

What do you think?

Thanks,
David

·
11,226 Posts
With standing corn it's a total crap shoot...They will move through the corn just as much as around it. With harvested fields I like these 4 spots.
4)anywhere between the gr [no swearing please] field and corn.
3)Between the lower corn field with the word Google in it and the large body of water. Bucks love to use these lanes of cover instead of crossing the open field or water.
2)Right at the point of the far left corn field in the top right hand corner of the field where it meets the other corn field and the red property line. Great natural crossing.
My 1st pick would be right between where the smaller body of water meets the smaller far right corn field. That little strip of woods is the hot spot with or without corn in that field!
These picks are without actually seeing the land but from the map they are the spots I would start looking at!
Good luck! Great looking piece of land![up]

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Yoda, if that is public land, you probably will have to measure the amount of pressure and where they are hunting, coming in from etc. If it's heavily pressured, go to the end of the lake, and find where they are going around the end of the lake, (below the corn field with the word Google in it) and put a stand there. I'm betting areas around those corn fields will get the most pressure, and once they are cut, you are going to want to be at the end of the lake to catch deer being pushed back into the woods on the other side of the lake. Until the corn is cut, you might do okay hunting near the fields. The deer will likely be using the standing corn more than the woods, and that little pond, or a nearby stream, could be a good spot with the heat and lack or rain we've had. The deer may come out of the corn to get water, and you want to be somewhere in between to intercept them.

With all those funnels and fields, you might get overwhelmed with sign and stand possibilities. Keep it simple and remember to factor in other hunters, that should significantly narrow your stand choices.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,928 Posts

Yoda, I marked what Im thinking is gonna happen on that property. Now there is no way to be certain until you pattern them on the ground a bit more, but this is the way Id start hunting them.

The two yellow circles are where Im assuming they will bed. Some deer may be bedding in the fields (if they feed there all night, but normally they will stick to those thicker areas, especially the bucks)

The red spots are just suggestions for stand placement based on funnel features. You have a LOT of pinch points there...which can be good and bad. You have to find the ones where theres a good chance alot of deer have to use it. (dont forget about access either, if they hear, see or smell you coming, forget it)

Once you locate the food out in the green circle, walk the trails back and find the beds, then set up accordingly for morning or afternoon hunts. Afternoon-closer to the food/ Morning-closer to the beds.

If that small blue circle is a pond, and you can get in between that and the corn, Id recommend it. They drink a lot during early season and the bucks drink a lot during the rut when chasing does.

The red and green stand dot is a good spot now if you can get in there undetected. The other reason I marked it like that, is because I could definitely see a good decoy and calling setup there. Put a buck or doe decoy out there during the rut, and call. The deer will be close in the thick bedding area, and will at least have a peak into the field. When they see the decoy, bam....They will come in!!!

Well, those are my thoughts on this property. Looks like a real honey hole with all the corn and edges.

Best of luck to you---Matt

If someone could please make the pic big enough to see, Id appreciate it. I have no idea why it makes it so small. ???? It was plenty big when I made it. ????[confused]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for all the input.

Alot of your suggestions are thoughts I've already had. You just confirmed them.

Matty,
Just sent you an e-mail... If you can e-mail me your pic, that would be great.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
yoda i hunt the same place i could show you some spots that look to be promising. that funnel between the lake and the corn fields is an awesome spot but its hard to get into in the morning, and that wind has got to be perfect to hunt that funnel or else they just come out through those grassy fields like you said.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
One thing to consider, if it's where I think it is, and it's public land, the deer will probably change their bedding areas frequently. That is one problem I've had hunting pressured land with multiple food sources and plenty of cover...deer change their patterns regularly.

If the gr [no swearing please] in that field encircled in blue is waist to chest high, that may be a good bedding area too. Mystic is probably right on and looking around that pond would be a good place to catch them before they hit the corn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts